Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Testing a CW source for voltage versus current

Status
Not open for further replies.

mn1247

I have a Cockroft-Walton voltage source that I would like to test under load. The output is about 25kV DC at zero load and I would like to test this under variable current loads from 0-30 mA. Can anyone offer suggestions as to how best to apply loading with a known value of the current? I realize I could buy some huge resistors, but ones with the right specs (power, voltage) seem to be unavailable or very expensive. Is there a better way?

Thanks
Eric

I thought I have the machine you need. I just found it. But it is not quite what you want. Up to 27kv 0 to 3mA. (high voltage power supply tester)

It uses 6BK4 tubes as a load. I also have some 30kV resistors but switching the resistors in/out is a problem.
---------edit-----------
wow 750 watts!

The 6KB4 is good for a variable current. I have the schematic for the tester. There aren't may tubes that will take on 25kv.

I don't know of a good way of switching resistors.
I do know how to make a 1mA load, a 10mA load and a 30mA load and you pick the one you want. (turn off the power to switch resistors)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back