Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Test clip for an SOIC8.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pommie

Most Helpful Member
Can anyone recommend one of these? I found **broken link removed** on Ebay but have no idea if they are any good or not. I need it to program some chips prior to soldering but it would be nice to be able to attach to an existing chip. I also found this adapter which I assume will take any soic up to 16 pin. Any anecdotes, suggestions etc. welcome.

Mike.

Your second option looks similar to the Textool (3M) adapter that I use (attached). I made a small PCB to adapt the Textool pinout to a PICStart Plus I was using at the time. Unfortunately, my notes were written with Wordperfct, which Word refuses to recognize. I will edit with a link to the Textool. I have seen cheaper knockoffs on eBay. It worked great in that situation and was all I used before going to ICSP.

John

Edit: Here's a link to the DigiKey datasheet for the SOIC8: https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/94472O/3mtm-textooltm-soic-test-and-burn-in-socket-ts0338.pdf

Attachments

• SOIC socket open.jpg
    SOIC socket open.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Unfortunately, my notes were written with Wordperfct, which Word refuses to recognize.
I had that problem.... Until I downloaded OpenOffice... Aparently OO stoped the support of wordperfect after version 3.3 but LibreOffice still uses it..

Last edited:
WordPerfect?
I actually used WordStar, which first ran in a CP/M environment and later MSDOS.

When I upgraded to the first stable Windows version (3.11 I believe) one could download conversion utilities for MS Word to read the WordStar documents.

I forgot to mention that the pins on the bottom of the SOIC8 socket are the same spacing as a DIP8, so will fit into a breadboard (albeit tightly).
What is of more importance though, they can be inserted into ZIF type programmer, or a sacrificial DIP8 IC socket which will then fit into something like a DM164120-1 LPC Demo Board, and attach directly to a PICkit/ICD 2 or 3, for a quick SMD programming setup.

The test clip adapter board can also be used in a similar fashion in a ZIF programmer or demo board, but is a waste of time on a breadboard as it overhangs too much and covers up the required holes. It could always be cut down, or replaced by some pin headers and a bit of veroboard (stripboard)

I've used the soic8 ZIF adapter a few times and it worked perfectly. You can get the soic16 adapter for ~$4 on ebay, and <$2 for the soic8 adapter.

Thanks all. Guess I'll throw caution to the wind and buy one of each.

Mike.

Actually, does anyone know if an socket for SOIC28 will hold an SOIC8 chip?

Thanks,

Mike.

I had a quick look and could only find SOIC28 wide (300 mil) sockets, the SOIC8 socket I linked is 150 mil.

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back