Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

tesla coil!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

smack_whore

ok im gonna make a tesla coil.......for the transformer im planning on using the one out of a mobile phone charger,it converts 240V to 5V will this work ok?
also can i just wrap the primary coil around the base of the secondary coil or is their more to it than that?
im using just over 2 feet of 1/2 inch diameter pvc pipe to wrap the secondary coil around... :twisted: help me chico

here ya go

heres a site that has tesla coil calculations on it....
**broken link removed**
and heres another site with tesla building info
**broken link removed**

do a lot of research on tesla coils before turning it on, if things are not tuned right, they can hurt you.

Have fun :) :)

yo

are tesla coils deathly dangerous or just plain painfull?i heard that unlike normal transformers the current gets increased as well, is this true?have u ever made a tesla coil kentkan?

Tesla Coils

"Baby Tesla Coils" use inverter circuits to get the voltage up high enough to drive the primary. "Real" Tesla coils tend to use luminous tube ("neon sign") transformers for their power. A transformer like this puts out 12 to 15KV at around 30ma and it can easily kill you. After running through a spark gap and the Tesla coil primary, the secondary can output over 250KV but at a much lower current. Still, it's nothing to play with. There is little in this electrical world as impressive as a Tesla coil operating in a darkened room and there's little in this electrical world, short of an electric chair, that's as potentially dangerous.

Be very careful when using them and never touch anything while it's under operation. There are photos of Nikola Tesla casually reading a newspaper while sitting near the primary of his huge, factory-sized coils in full operaton. These are double-exposures. For all his genius in the electrical power industry, Tesla was still a bit of a snake oil peddler.

Dean

yo

what is an inverter circuit?i mean ive heard of inverter ic's but not an inverter that can drive a tesla coil..what is the basic priciple?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back