Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

terminology question

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishape

On this circuit it has 3vpp triangle wave that needs 10vpp. Two resistors, one 30k and 120k which author says gives 10/3 ratio which I assume he arrived at by dividing by 12. Then it says to multiply 3vpp by 10/3 to get 10vpp. He lost me here, any help? Thank you. Yes, I am new at this.

I don't get it? If for example I add 30K + 120K I get 150K and 30K is 1/5th of 150K. So if I place the 30K (top) and 120K (bottom) in series and apply 10 volts across them the output across the 30K would be 2 volts which is 1/5th of the 10 volts.

Yes, 10/3 = 3.33333 and 3.33333 * 3 = 10. However, and maybe I am missing it, I don't see the connection with the resistor values specified.

Ron

What circuit?

terminology queation

Okay,what I am using is the 566 VCO chip as in a music making project. This portion of the circuit is about using two discrete transistors as a differential pair. This section is using a pickup from pin 4 on the 566. It is using the 36k and 120k resistors on the IC1a which produces a triangle wave. Then down to the rest of circuit to change to a sine wave. The pin four from 566 is producing 3vpp which we want to up to 10vpp. This is where the author states that the ratio of the resistors create a 10/3 ratio and to get the 10vpp to multiply the 3vpp by the 10/3. The only way I could come up with it is divide 3 into 10 and multiply the 3.3 with the 3vpp which gives you 9.9v. I just was not sure if the slash mark on the 10/3 ratio thing was to be consisdered a divide mark and assume he had rounded off the numbers. The question is, is this the proper way to mark division in electronic work. I probably should have stated it that way first but am trying to be careful. Hope this rambling on explains my question.

3vpp which we want to up to 10vpp
You can't increase a voltage by using just resistors; you need an amplifier.

Can you post the circuit? That would likely make understanding this much easier for everyone.

Ron

Ron, thank you for the help and the interest. It would be pretty hard to get the circuit posted because there is several sections of it. My real question, which I made a mess of aking, was just if the slash mark in 10/3 is to be consisdered a division mark as that was the only way I could make any sense of what he was saying. I am now satisfied that is what he was saying. Thanks again for your help. IA

I take it to be division as in 10 / 3 = 3.333. Ratio is generally expressed as for example 3:1 meaning a 3 to 1 ratio.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back