Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Temperature Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

oskar270

I plan to get a Chinese set for a 1.5KW, 110VAC input power VFD along with a water cooled spindle. To cool the spindle I will get a 12VDC or 110VAC water pump and I would like to have a temperature control to power OFF the spindle if the temperature of the spindle gets above a set range (usually 35-40C). I prefer to measure the spindle temperature and not the water

All of the temperature controllers I find on eBay have a metal probe to measure the temperature and this probe is not suitable to attach to the spindle. I prefer to have something like a paper thin film which it will be much easier to wrap around the spindle.

Ideas and suggestions on how to proceed are appreciated

Don't know if this would work, but how about use a pair of IR diodes as photo-detectors; one aimed to pick up IR from the spindle and the other used a a reference/compensator picking up ambient radiation? Feed their outputs into a differential amp.

Hi oskar270,

Here is an infrared off-the-shelf, non-contact temperature sensor:
**broken link removed**

This uses a similar principle to Alec's suggestion of post #2.

spec

Last edited:
Thank you both for the help

spec, I don’t know how accurate / reliable is an infrared device especially with the dust the spindle will create but I suspect it’s pretty good

However my knowledge in electronics is pretty limited but I can manage if someone tells me what to do. Besides this sensor breakout I would also like to have a digital readout for the temperature and a wiring schematic of how to connect all together

A complete unit of the self would have been better for me but I’m willing to go ahead if someone can tell me what to do. Is it possible?

Infrared temperature monitoring is a well proven, widely used technique which would be reliable. Within, reason I doubt that debris will affect the temperature reading significantly.

The simplest approach would be to use an Arduino microcontroller with the shield (input/output module) of post #3 and a digital readout shield. In addition you would need a 5V power supply. These are all inexpensive items that would simply plug together. As you are in Canada component procurement will not be a problem.

The Arduino would also need a simple script (program).

The best way to get the job done would be to contact a hobbyist or technical person to do the job for you.

spec

Thanks again spec for your time but I don’t know anybody with knowledge of electronics and a local technical person will cost a lot for such a small job.

I will keep searching until I find what I’m looking for

Spec; reading the datasheet for the device you suggested, I found this golden nugget:

Table 5 summarizes the ideal output codes for different input signals. Figure 6 illustrates code transitions versus input voltage. Full-scale is a 5.12 mV signal. The LSB size is 156.25 nV.

Bold letters are mine.
156 nanovolts resolution! WOW!

Spec; reading the datasheet for the device you suggested, I found this golden nugget:

Table 5 summarizes the ideal output codes for different input signals. Figure 6 illustrates code transitions versus input voltage. Full-scale is a 5.12 mV signal. The LSB size is 156.25 nV.

Bold letters are mine.
156 nanovolts resolution! WOW!

Excellent: :p

spec

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back