Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Temperature Controlled computer Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Setheroo

Hi there I am wanting to build I believe a fairly simple circuit. I want to put a probe in my computer that turns on a fan when it senses 40 degrees C and turns off when the temp drops below 40 C. Simple on or off I don't want it to be variable speed or anything.

I have some temperature probes from a temp display panel for my computer. The simple probes give temp info by resistance (obviously).

Temp probe give a resistance of about 10k at room temp
I want the circuit to turn on when it has a resistance of about 5.7K
I would also like to have a pot to adjust this voltage as well

I believe the 12 volt fan can draw about .5 amps, but probably best to assume .75 amps to be safe. If its easier I can just use a relay to handle the higher current.

I just started messing with Tiny CAD and I have attached what I have thus far, its not much..

I believe I could use a transistor to do this, but I have no idea on how to do the calculations for anything. Any help is much appreciated!
thank you very much,

Seth

Attachments

• output.png
    output.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 212
After much research I was able to find this diagram:

**broken link removed**

I think I could just do this instead. The part of it that I am unsure about it the zener regulator. Does it need to be 10v or does it matter?

Seth

[edit] His notes are helpful:

"If you just happen to have a regulated 12V supply handy, leave out the 10V zener diode, use a short circuit for R5, and just use the circuit as is."[/edit]

Last edited:
Hi

If you want to build that circuit here is the PCB layout in Eagle 5.6.0. it is zipped.

I use this circuit and have so for three years, it is excellent.

Cheers
Andrew

Attachments

• Caravan Fan Controller.zip
    5.2 KB · Views: 154
thanks Andrew, the circuit looks great. What kind of set-up do you use for the diodes and what type of diodes do you use?

Thank you,
Seth

Hi

I happened to have two Gl 9242 laying about so used them. One broke and ended up with one GL9242 and one 1N4141. I have noticed that the circuit does not like two or one for that matter 1N4141.

Dont forget R8 needs calculating according to the article.

I use the fan for a completely different application, it is set to come on at ~28°C and is at full speed at ~35°C. This is nice as it is very quiet at the lower temperatures.

Cheers
Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back