Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Temp Sensors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wp100

Hi,

Have used NTCs as off board aqaurium \creature\plant temp sensors to micros and the DS18B20 seems to be a good digital alternative, but wonder if they are as reliable in terms of total failure?

Being a much more active device does the DS18B20 seem to be as long lasting as a ntc can be ?

Would be interested to hear other folk views; partic from any professional users as its noticable many commercial temp based devices still seem to use a ntc.

Also while a genuine Dallas 18B20 purchased from one of the major suppliers should be first quaility and give the best service life , many folk including myself , seem to buy the far east steel encapsuled types with ready made lead attached, so again wonder if they really contain a genuine 18B20 or possibly low spec devices ?

I currently have two applications in my home where I make use of the DS1820 with some success.

Note! I said SOME SUCCESS. I found that the value's returned from the DS1820 sometimes either goes to full max (85) or as if I loose the signal and then the value returned is "-127"
In my Arduino Nano code I simply now compare if the RAW value received from the DS1820 goes either above 80 or below -100. In either those cases I know the value I'm getting is incorrect, and I simply do not update my Temperature register that I use in further down in my code.

I have one DS1820 submerged in my solar water heater system. That one gave lots of error readings the closer it got to the maximum measuring range of 85. In a bright sunny South African day the water often goes greater than 85DegC.

The other application I use three DS1820 sensors to measure the temperature of my swimming pool solar water panels. Once the temp goes over a set-point limit (55DegC) I switch on the pool pump. Then I monitor the DeltaT between the solar Panels inlet line an outlet line. If the DeltaT is less than 0.5DegC I switch the pump off again. In this application too I found that the three probes randomly gives error readings. Again, by just doing some software I monitor the RAW data and only use the data if it is withing my usable limits.

I have some DS1820 sensors in a piece of equipment that has been running 24/7 for over 18 years with no problems at all.

I've designed National and Dallas temp sensors into company products, and have not noticed any reliability issues with either. But I use them only where a digital output is required. For out of the box accuracy, nothing beats the o.1C interchangeability of a good NTC thermistor.

ak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back