Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Temp display

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-wiz

Another one for my track bike.

As im ditching the original instrument cluster. I need a temp display, i'd like to make use of the orignal temp sensor fitted in the engine. This has a single wire feeding a resisted ground back to the display.

I understand that the range of resistance isn't known to any who can answer so if there's a circuit that would work and allow me to calabrate the reading this would be great !

Many thanks again guys

Glen

If you're measuring the water temp of the engine, you can use a bowl of water and a thermometer to measure the resistance of the sensor at different temperatures.

You can make a voltage divider with the sensor and a pot. Connect to an op-amp & use another pot in the feedback circuit to control gain.

stef said:
You can make a voltage divider with the sensor and a pot. Connect to an op-amp & use another pot in the feedback circuit to control gain.

Thanks for the reply mate, but i'm not sure how i would make a circuit up with a op-amp ??

You'll have to treat as a bit of an idiot, as using IC's is all new to me.

Can anyone help ???

Cheers

Don't worry, op-amps are not exactly my forte either; give me a PIC any day :D :D

Unfortunately I don't have a schematic to post, but here goes: connect a resistor & the sensor in series between supply pos & neg. The node between sensor & resistor goes to inverting input of op-amp. Non-inverting input goes to Gnd. Connect resistor between output & inverting input(feedback).

Not sure which IC is best, but search the forum for op-amp related topics, you should find loads of info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back