Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

technics SA-400 FM Tuning indicator won't center

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimkarl

Problem statement - the Tuning indicator is not anywhere near center, quite a bit left (about 7 or 8 o'clock) regardless of dial position. It only centers when unit is off.

Background - I don't have the proper tools to be calibrating the FM circuit, no oscilloscope or freq generator so please postpone all the comments to that regard and focus or what I can do anyway without making the calibration worse than it is. I do have the service manual. In a environment where I test lots of receivers so it's not a coverage/antenna related issue. It's specific to this unit.

Action taken - Checked the electrolytic caps on the board, many out of tolerance so replaced all but a couple that were good tolerance and esr . No improvement to the tuning indicator as a result of the cap changes. It matters not what station I'm tuned to, FM mono or stereo, I cannot achieve center of this gauge (or even close). I tried a simple adjustment of the RF discrimator (T101 orange pot) by tuning to a blank section of the dial and adjusting. I could make the tuning meter WORSE, but not any better (more centered) even at extreme ranges on the control. I returned to the previous default position (where the meter is as close to the center as it ever gets - not!) . I tried this with and without antennas connected - no difference. Simply cannot get the dial closer to center.

Is there a specific part of the circuit (pic attached) that I should be re-checking component values that might be off enough to throw the meter left of center? Thanks in advance for the expert help!

Attachments

• Technics_sa-400 FM Circuit.jpg
    Technics_sa-400 FM Circuit.jpg
    697.5 KB · Views: 248
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back