Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

TDA5140A Motor Contrller Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

led4lyf

I am going to be using the TDA5140A 3 phase motor controller to controll a spindle motor from an old hard drive. I have a few questions.

On the data sheet it shows a typical setup with capacitors. In the lower right hand corner(connected to Vp) there is a symbol of a capacitor, but it does not show a value. Does anybody know what value to put there?

Also I understan you can controll the speed of the motor by changing the Voltage of Vmot. How could you Add a POT so you could adjust it?

Last question. It says on the spec sheet that the max input voltage is 17v, now if I put 17v into the tda5140a will my motor get 17v? These motors are only rated at 12v, so will this harm the motor.

Any help would be awsome, thanks

Any one have any idea? I finally got my TDA5140A and I hooked it up just like the spec sheet, and nothing. Am I missing something?

Yes, you're missing the link of the datasheet. I guess there's more than just one datasheet for that circuit.

Also, there is no way anybody van see if you're connected it correct.

How do you even know this is the right chip for this motor?
Also I understan you can controll the speed of the motor by changing the Voltage of Vmot.
No you can not. You would need to use OTA with this chip.
Last question. It says on the spec sheet that the max input voltage is 17v, now if I put 17v into the tda5140a will my motor get 17v? These motors are only rated at 12v, so will this harm the motor.
Thare are seporat supplys for the chip and the motor on this chip.
Never run the chip at max rateing. The motor should be 12VDC.

Ok I got my motor running with the tda5140a. I can run the 4 wire hdd motors. I would like to be able to run the 3 wire hdd motors. With out the fourth wire is it going to be impossible?

I would like to be able to run the 3 wire hdd motors. With out the fourth wire is it going to be impossible?
I have never seen a three wire HHD motor, you need to look up the specs for it but it may be a regular DC motor with a sensor wire.

It still is a 3 phase motor but it is connected Delta style, windings are in a triangle with the three wires coming in from each of corners. T four wire motors are star configured looks like a y shape with three wires come in to each end of a winding and they are all tied in the center then the fourth wire is connected to the center.

It still is a 3 phase motor but it is connected Delta style,
No I dont think this motor will work. From the data sheet the chip needs the center common wire for the back EMF control.

No I dont think this motor will work.
No reason to assume the motor won't work. On that controller, yes it probably wont work because the ic is meant for a different type motor.

No reason to assume the motor won't work. On that controller, yes it probably wont work because the ic is meant for a different type motor.
OK you can not use your chip to drive this motor. Samething, maybe I should have said "this motor will not work for you" is that better?

OK you can not use your chip to drive this motor. Samething, maybe I should have said "this motor will not work for you" is that better?
Yes. It doesn't indicate that the motor may be broken :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back