Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

tamiya gearbox comparison?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've used both, they have different gear ratios.
The Tamiya Double Gearbox is the one I use on the Mongoose kit. They are very similar, but the Double was easier to mount and add opto sensors.
My homepage shows a color photo of the double gearbox.

As best as I can tell, they're both double gear boxes, aren't they?
The Tamiya Double Gearbox is the one I use on the Mongoose kit.
So that's the RB-Tam-32, then? Sorry, the whole double vs twin nomenclature is needlessly confusing, I think! Both models have independent motor/gear/axles, right?

Last edited:
The Tamiya Double Gearbox is the one I use on the Mongoose kit.
Can you clarify that? What you've got on the Mongoose looks like what robotshop.ca describes as the twin, and the other one they call the double. Have they got that backwards? Just if I'm ordering one, I want to make sure I'm getting the one with the gear ratio I want!

I'd check the Tamiya site myself, but I tend to get lost on my way there. I usually end up at the place with the Tamiya R/C models site, but can't find where they have their gearboxes and wheels, etc (although I know I've been there, or somewhere like that - maybe a supplier?).

3mm hex axles are standard on these, if I remember correctly. Is there a selection of various Tamiya wheels, gears, levers, for these axles somewhere? And are they just press-fit?

Sorry for all the questions! I'm such a noob...

Download the quite unfinished Mongoose manual if you want to see it in some detail, I also started an Instructable with photos of the gearbox.

Thanks, for both the clarity and the Mongoose info. I see Pololu have Tamiya wheels, but I swear I saw somewhere with Tamiya gears and pulleys and what not ready-made to attach to their 3mm hex axles.

Both gearboxes are 100mm wide at the axle ends.
Are they separable? Or do they have to be side by side like that? (I mean the left and right sides of one gearbox.)

The wheels, bushing, gears, pulleys, etc for the 3mm axles are all press-fit, right? Sorry to betray my ignorance, but is that how the Mongoose is put together - no glue, and they fit securely?

Last edited:
The axles are held on by a grub screw and brass bushing to the drive gear. It's all very solid and the entire Mongoose chassis is fastened to the gearbox with 8 self tapping screws. The double gearbox can't be seperated into two gearboxes BUT they do make a crank axle gearbox which is half a double gearbox. No glue on the Mongoose
https://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/118

The wheels are just press fit.
**broken link removed**

Which Gearbox?

I just put together the -32 gearbox. What I noticed about the other on was that there are only two possible gear ratios on the -01, and I wanted the 4 different speeds for experimenting, so I picked the 4-speed.

I wish RobotShop used the Tamiya part numbers, the -32 (double gearbox) is really nice. I've used the 114:1 ratio in the drawing above.

3d files for the gearbox

Hi, does anyone has the 3d models for these tamiya models, something like a .part file for solidworks or solid edge or a parasolid file. I have been looking for them but i could not find anything about these models. I will appreciate your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back