Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Talking Calculator, help with the talking part

Status
Not open for further replies.

plugo

Hello guys,

I am starting a project where a calculator plays the number clicked. I have so far a calculator working with an 18f4550 pic and LCD and 4x4 matrix keypad. I am having trouble interfacing the sounds to the calculator. can you guys help me out a lil? :) i dont want to use any external memory, and want to fit the sound files in the allocated 32kb of memory from the pic.

I did some quick guesstimation, you could get away with about 300 ms per digit maybe a pinch less (0 through 9) which is 3 seconds of audio. At 8khz (telephone quality) it'll take 24kbs of .wav data at 8 bits. Half if you use 4 bit differential encoding. If you do the 4 bit differential you might be able to sneak plus/minus/times/divide/percent in there if you're lucky.

I have managed to store the needed size of memory into .wav files, however, i am stuck with the programming part? do you have any examples of how i can get this to work? i know you have to make them into an array with the given .wav frequencies, but i cant find any specific examples, if you guys could provide me with some i would be very thankful. Thanks ! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back