Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

swordfish and win 98?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDEB

planning on getting a second computer resurected and use for pic programing only BUT I see no docs on swordfish and win 98. need mplab8.0? as well.
trying to config second computer to run win xp but cpu codes don't match (copy protect thingy)
any suggestions or answers?

Assuming you have a valid license:
You should be able to install XP on the 2nd harddrive using the 1st computer. Then just swap that harddrive into the 2nd computer. Any required drivers will be installed when the 2nd PC boots up for the first time.

How old is the PC and what's the specification?

You could install Windows 2000 which doesn't have copy protection.

I'd recommend Linux for old hardware but I know that it isn't a good choice with Windows only software.

Last edited:
I have a lic for the win XP, installed using computer #1 (my best computer).
Installed hard drive into computer # 2, won't boot up but when I used the hard drive it came with (win 98 it boots.
tried the hard drive in two other computers, one is a 386 and the other is a pent 3 1.? ghz
neither booted up.
plan C is to do a fresh install on hard drive and install win xp on computer 2 or 3.
my son says that if you install win xp on one computer and then install that hard drive into a different computer, it won't boot up (an issue with the cpu serial # is put into the win xp installiation thus preventing a boot.
may just have to find out if swordfish and mplab work under win98. if not then plan C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back