Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Switchmode Power Supply Trouble - Help appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what i wrote first: the TL431 (=KA431) in the feedback. The multiple output SMPS have only one exact output voltage, others depend from load. ( so the stdby and on voltages can be different) Just follow which output have a line to KA431 and You can exactly adjust only this output voltage (probably this is the 5V).

Sebi, thanks for the info. I have found that the KA431 is connected to the 5V line, as you thought.

I've now found a couple of things wrong, but won't mention them yet for fear of confusing things even more than they already are. The only thing I will say for now is that I have found the reason for the receiver operating in reverse - power supply on when unit is in standby and power supply off when unit turned on - one of the transistors in the secondary, a big TO-220 package, is completely short-circuit, all three pins short.

I don't know why this is exactly, but have ideas. It may be why all the voltages suddenly became high when they were previously too low, so perhaps not an imperceptible dry-joint after all...

Anyway, this transistor which is short - KSA614-Y - simply marked A614-Y, is to do with the standby operation of the power supply amongst other things, I suppose, as it is connected to a smaller transistor - KSP2222A - which in turn has its base connected to the standby voltage from the mainboard, i.e. power supply turns on when the base has a voltage going to it and goes off when that voltage disappears when the mainboard stops sending it after on/off button has been pressed.

So, I need to replace the KSA614-Y. I don't suppose there is anything that might do on the old chassis I have in the shed from TVs and satellite receivers, etc? Datasheet says it's a low frequency power amplifier, power regulator. I'd like to just test it with anything I can find around that'd do for now until I source a proper replacement, if I can find one.

KSA614 Y

Attachments

• ksa614.pdf
    43.1 KB · Views: 156
Thanks for that. I found a replacement which is working as power supply is back up and running. It looks like low voltages may have just been bad joints. All voltages are good enough.

I didn't think it was working, but when the sat receiver was taken back and connected up, it produced perfect pictures!

So there it is, fully working again. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back