Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Switching phone charger not going on progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is the switching phone charger not going on progressing with open being read 5.11V 181 mA by DMM although claimed 500 mA output?
Is it really just a faulty low current or there's more common fault/defect, how to solve and fix it ?

Last edited:
Why is the switching phone charger not going on progressing with open being read 5.11V 181 mA by DMM although claimed 500 mA output?
Is it really just a faulty low current or there's more common fault/defect, how to solve and fix it ?
What are you using for a load when you are measuring the output current?

USB charge systems need all the USB signals connected through, and are also often very sensitive to cable resistance; cheap thin "data" cables may not work well for charging.

I don't see how you can measure USB charge current safely and reliably with a multimeter? There are cheap test units made specifically for that, which pass all the signals with minimal effect.

Something like this should work reasonably well:

And remember that the current rating of any power unit or battery is the maximum it can provide & whatever is connected will only take the current it needs, no matter how big the source.

Voltage must be correct, but if a device has a maximum charge current of eg. 800mA then 20A rated source won't give faster charge or more current than a 1A one.

The phone/device is at 3% when observed get stuck there
USB cable was tested works well as other one-cell-Lion chargers that was worked/fixed is using it and stably got in progress up to the end
Yep, I have & work or fix many these chargers all simply the same: it has output only 2 pins: + - DC which I always got it soldered to proper + - USB-A pins, but just this one exhibit this weird fault

Last edited:
Check that the two data pins on the USB socket are linked together, and/or connected to a voltage divider between power and ground.

If one is open circuit, the phone may not register that it is connected to a power source rather than a data connection.

Original suspect is true, s.t error in rated current I design

as measured 12 Ohm load (near max 5V/0.5A Ohm) DC current is even less to 50 mA

anyone expert on SMPS so confidently know where the fault of weak P or I, it's:

Samsung travel adapter TAD 137 Rev. 1.5

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back