Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Switching negative voltages with a transistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr pepper

Most Helpful Member
I want to switch a negative voltage with a microcontroller, the controller runs from 0 and 5v, and I need to switch -12v 100ma.
I got the thing to work with a opto isolator, but it doesnt seem very 'elegant', what would be a good way to do this with a transistor or 2.

IMO the opto isolator is a safe way to interconnect a micro with a high voltage or ??

One PNP transistor driven by the uC, one NPN transistor as the switch, and 3 resistors. 2N4403 and 4401, or 2222 and 2907, or 3906 and 3904.

ak

Transfer function showing switching point. X-axis in the plot is V1. Y-axis shows V(out) and current from PIC port pin.

d3.jpg

Attachments

• D3.asc
    1.4 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Here's the LTspice simulation of a two transistor circuit to switch a negative supply voltage from a positive signal (which I think is what you wanted).
The N-MOSFET can be just about any device with a low enough ON resistance.

upload_2016-11-4_0-50-43.png

Attachments

• Switch Neg Supply.asc
    1.4 KB · Views: 254
Something *without* a common base amplifier.

ak
Neg-Volt-Sw-1-c.gif

Attachments

• Neg-Volt-Sw-1-c.pdf
    6 KB · Views: 339
Oh yeah?!? Well...mine was done first but I had to go to a company meeting before I could post it.

So there.

Oh yeah?!? Well...mine was done first but I had to go to a company meeting before I could post it.

So there.

Well, mine was done before the OP even posted so there.:joyful:

Besides, my schematic is in color and yours is not!:hilarious:

spec

Great thanks all.
I'd had the idea of common a base tranny as a switch but couldnt remember the circuit.
I want to switch the low side rather than the high side, looking at mikes post #6, all I need to do is mirror the circuit around Q2 and use n Npn tranny with its emmitter tied to v-, and have R1 inline with its base.
What does D1 do?
The msofet is a good idea too, I'd not thought about fets, that Aon device is pretty good at 18mohm on resistance.

Last edited:
Here's the LTspice simulation of a two transistor circuit to switch a negative supply voltage from a positive signal (which I think is what you wanted).
The N-MOSFET can be just about any device with a low enough ON resistance.

View attachment 101980
Cruts, neat circuit, but you need to cut the voltage drive to the AO6408 because the +12V max VGS is exceeded.

spec

Last edited:
....... neat circuit, but you need to cut the voltage drive to the AO6408 because the +12V max VGS is exceeded.
I'm Wally. :)
Most MOSFETs have a 20V rating and I didn't check that one in particular.
But certainly you would need to add a base resistor for that MOSFET to reduce the maximum Vgs.

I'm Wally. :)
Most MOSFETs have a 20V rating and I didn't check that one in particular.
But certainly you would need to add a base resistor for that MOSFET to reduce the maximum Vgs.
I'm a Walley- I got the wrong poster.
A&O seem to make some decent MOSFETs: are they OK? Never used them myself.

spec

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back