Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Switching latching relay with two input switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sexton656

I am trying to control a 12v power source with two ground switching momentary switches.

One momentary switch should allow power to flow, and the other momentary switch should stop power from flowing.

Does anybody know of a diagram, or part number for this type of relay, or diagram with multiple relays to make this happen?

I am somewhat experienced with these relays etc, but have drawn a blank here.

There are two major types of latching relays.
1) one coil. You must reverse the voltage to set/reset the relay.
2) two coils. One coil turns on and the other coil turns off.

As you can see the switch is from pin 3 to pin 5.
Pin 6 goes to a positive DC supply.
Grounding pin 1 (with your momentary button) will set the relay on.
Grounding pin 2 will sset the relay off.
I found the relay here:
https://www.amazon.com/HELLA-933364...id=1538514457&sr=8-20&keywords=latching+relay

Awesome, that's exactly what i was looking for.

I knew it had to be out there, thanks for the help. I'll have it ordered up, and hopefully wired in this weekend.

What coil voltage?
What current on the switch?
Check these questions before you order.

Coil voltage is 12v, and amperage draw is 2.3a. So i figured it probably could be handled by the relay listed above?

That relay looks "automotive" so you might need these things to connect to the relay. Or get a socket.
61lwo0xkaVL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

you can use DPDT relay that is available at your nearest store. not required to order and wait for delivery. see attached simple schematic.

Attachments

• latch relay.jpg
    latch relay.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 422
I thought about that but did not ask if "latching" means it must remember when the power goes down.
Your circuit is good if the latch should come up in the off position (when power is applied).

Hi

How does the relay energize when power is applied? It appears to use standard non-latching relays...

I guess I’m not seeing it..

eT

you can use DPDT relay that is available at your nearest store. not required to order and wait for delivery. see attached simple schematic.

If the push buttons each have a NO and NC contact, you can wire them so pushing both at the same time won’t affect the relay state.

HI

Here's one way with NO switches.
Its also a good idea to connect a diode across each coil to snub the inductive kick.

ToggleRelay2.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back