Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Switching a Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimshort

Hello All,

I can’t get my head round what I think is a simple problem.

I have an electronic switch (it’s on a radio control plane) that operates a camera shutter by sending 5v to the USB cable.
This works fine but it switches the ground not the positive.
When I plug in my video out to the camera the shutter fires constantly as this has a negative lead and so completes the circuit.
(It’s slightly more complicated as all the components on the plane take their power from the same source)

Is there a simple circuit that can turn this around, so that the 5v positive is the one that’s switched.
I can’t take the original switch apart, its SMD stuff.

I’m thinking just a couple of transistors will do it, but…

Regards
Jim

You really need to rewire the switch, to fix it properly.

This circuit should work.

Resistors of 1k each, and just about any PNP transistor.

If you know how much current the camera takes to trigger that would help decide an appropriate transistor.

Attachments

• cameraswtich.gif
    cameraswtich.gif
    5.1 KB · Views: 124
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back