Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Switching 110V AC power

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekankjatwani

Hi ,

I am working on a project , where I need to break the path providing 110V to a motor. What are the different ways of doing it ? I am aware of only two ways :1 ) using a mechanical switch 2) a relay .

Are there any other safe, reliable and possibly cheaper ways of doing this ? May be a solid state solution ??

Thank you

You can use a solid-state relay but they are not cheaper than mechanical relays.

If you are adventurous, you could make your own SSR. Might not be too expensive.

Most of your options are going to come down to how much power your motor uses on start up and how much money you are willing to spend.

Ebay is full of cheap solid-state relays that have logic level type inputs, safely isolated. I doubt it's worth making one from scratch, unless for fun.

For a motor start application you need a SSR capable of starting your motor size, and that type of motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back