Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Switches and PC Audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electroenthusiast

Hello,
I have been using a USB headset for listening to my PC Audio. The PC is powered through mains voltage, and there are 4 more switches along the one which connects the PC Socket.
When one of the switch in the switch board is altered between ON and OFF, which is other than the one used to power the PC, the PC audio stops playing for a moment, and continues playing after some 4 seconds or so.

Why does this happen? What is a scientific explanation for this, as i think the USB Audio is no where directly connected to mains.

Do you mean to say that there will be arcing here? Any other possibilities?

When you open a switch you get an arc across it as it opens, the higher the current the larger (and longer) the arc. This is one of the many reason why we use AC mains rather than DC, as it extinguishes the arc as the voltage falls to zero - and it's why switches are greatly derated at DC as against AC.

there might also be the switch that goes to your PC's outlet has oxidized contacts, and is sensitive to vibration, and when one of the other switches is flipped, the vibration causes a very short dropout in power to the PC. this might cause the "power good" signal to toggle, and while the CPU processes the signal (likely a non-maskable interrupt signal), it suspends the audio processing until it decides the power didn't stay off, and continues where it left off...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back