Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Switcher-cad question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Optikon

Has anyone tried to define more than one coupled inductor?

Example,

Place spice directive:

K1 L1 L2 1.

This couples L1 to L2 with coefficient 1.

Now, if I place

K2 L2 L3 1.
This couples L2 to L3.

This gives strange results... but K1 L1 L2 L3 1. appears to work ok.
However, I dont want that!

I need:

K1 L1 L3 0.9
K2 L2 L3 0.8

Has anyone tried something like this? Linear tech support is looking into it and they dont seem to care much.

Did you try also defining K3 L1 L2? It seems like this would be necessary in this case.

Ron H said:
Did you try also defining K3 L1 L2? It seems like this would be necessary in this case.

Yes I've tried.

The situation is this:

2 seperate transformers (i.e. two different circuits same schematic) They need to be in same circuit because there is other connectivity but not magnetic.

Transformer #1 consists of L1 (pri) and L2 (sec)
Transformer #2 consists of L3 (pri) and L4 (sec)

Simply using K1 L1 L2 1 and K2 L3 L4 1, does not work. L3, L4 coupling ignored. I've gone as far as specifying all possible coupling (mutual only)
K1 L1 L2 1.
K2 L3 L4 1.
K3 L1 L3 0.
K4 L1 L4 0.
K5 L2 L3 0.
K6 L2 L4 0.
and even this doesnt work.
Its as if only one coupled pair is allowed per schematic..

Any ideas? Have you played around with it?

Thanks!

Optikon said:
Ron H said:

Yes I've tried.

The situation is this:

2 seperate transformers (i.e. two different circuits same schematic) They need to be in same circuit because there is other connectivity but not magnetic.

Transformer #1 consists of L1 (pri) and L2 (sec)
Transformer #2 consists of L3 (pri) and L4 (sec)

Simply using K1 L1 L2 1 and K2 L3 L4 1, does not work. L3, L4 coupling ignored. I've gone as far as specifying all possible coupling (mutual only)
K1 L1 L2 1.
K2 L3 L4 1.
K3 L1 L3 0.
K4 L1 L4 0.
K5 L2 L3 0.
K6 L2 L4 0.
and even this doesnt work.
Its as if only one coupled pair is allowed per schematic..

Any ideas? Have you played around with it?

Thanks!
I haven't played with that situation. I was running a sim a couple of months ago with 3 coupled inductors having different mutual couplings, and it seemed to work OK. I'll play with this if I get a chance.

I tried the schematic below. I've included the waves. It worked for me. Are you doing something different? Are you sure you did all your K's as .op's?

Attachments

• coupling_waves.gif
    coupling_waves.gif
    6.9 KB · Views: 281
  • coupling_sch.gif
    coupling_sch.gif
    5 KB · Views: 258
Ron, ok thanks for checking...

I guess there is nothing wrong.
The same circuit works here at home but does not at work!
I really don't know whats going on with that version but when
I load the .asc file I tried at work, the coupling works just fine..
I think I'll upgrade it to the latest version...
:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back