Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Switch Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

cljunior

Hi guys

I thought i'd solved this problem before, but i found out that my old method is not viable anymore, because we are not allowed to use relays in our project.

I am trying to implement a digital switch (like a switch on a hifi that gets turned on/off into standby via a remote, or via the on/off button).

I was going to use a D flip flop after my receiver, then a BJT, followed by a relay.

Two problems.

1) How do i get my D flip flop to hold the value that i want (ie. on or off)?
2) What can i use in place of a relay?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers
cljunior

1) How do i get my D flip flop to hold the value that i want (ie. on or off)?

Im not sure what you mean exactly, but a flip-flop will hold its output automatically when the pushbutton is released. Its like a one bit memory.

2) What can i use in place of a relay?

You can get solid state relays but they can be quite expensive. You can also use a transistor switch but you need to know how much current your load is drawing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back