Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Switch between different sets of inputs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Powzoom

I have a pic micro controller that is hooked up to 5 devices that each have 7 wires for control. Only 1 device needs to be used at a time. I don't have 5*7 = 35 ports on my pic. How can use less pins on my pic? I'm thinking something like a multiplexer would help but I'm not sure how to implement it in this case.

Which PICmicro are you using? You can use 5 octal latch ICs (like 74LS373), each for individual device control signals. All the inputs of latches will be connected in parallel. This way, you can send 7 control signals to all devices but it will be received by only one whose Latch Circuit is Output Enabled. Check datasheets for 74LS373. Also check for 74LS273.

- Raj
Experiments with PIC16F628A

I have a pic micro controller that is hooked up to 5 devices that each have 7 wires for control. Only 1 device needs to be used at a time. I don't have 5*7 = 35 ports on my pic. How can use less pins on my pic? I'm thinking something like a multiplexer would help but I'm not sure how to implement it in this case.

Can you have an enable line for each device? Then you could connect the 7 wires to all the 5 devices, and 5 enable wires. Total of 12 ports.

someting I made up quick, It might help
109-multiplexer.jpg

Sorry 48 Input ports - it was late...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back