Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

surge current of wires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frosty_47

Hello,

I would like to know if there is a chart that lists the maximum surge current of AWG wires. I am close to finishing my 4000 Joule 1600V capacitor defibrillator and would be inconvenienced if the wires explode/melt away.

-Thanks

OK, I'll go along with the joke. A 1 thousandth of an inch diameter wire will easily carry 4000 joules without exploding or melting away.

Now ask a sensible question.

Mike.

Ermmm I aint volunteering as his patient....:)

Why not ? I mean isn't there a hefty prize given to the family of a Darwin Nominee ?

Do you know the estimated discharge time? A joule is one watt second. If you dump it all in one second that the same as a 14.4 mega watt load at 1600 volts or about 9000 amps for one second.

Two 4/0 welding cables can take that kind of burst. they can hold a continuous duty 1000 amp submerged arc welder without trouble. Even with 20 KA peaks I doubt you would bother them one bit.

Do you know the estimated discharge time? A joule is one watt second. If you dump it all in one second that the same as a 14.4 mega watt load at 1600 volts or about 9000 amps for one second.

Two 4/0 welding cables can take that kind of burst. they can hold a continuous duty 1000 amp submerged arc welder without trouble. Even with 20 KA peaks I doubt you would bother them one bit.

Cor!...some firework display if you shorted the leads... :)

I hate meausing cable in AWG or SWG. Cross-sectional area mm² is much easier to understand.

So you're building a defibrillator; how do you plan to spend in getting it approved?

At 4000 joules and 1600 volts its not a defibrillator. Its a vaporizer!:eek::D
Still, I would play with it!

Onderdonk vs. Preece

16 gauge copper wire: Tmelt = 1083, Area = 2581 circ mil, Time = 5 sec, Tamb = 25

E= Area in CM
B = Tmelt - Tamb in deg. C
D = 234-Tambient in deg. C
T= time in seconds.
So, E = 2581, B= 1058, D=209, T=5
Then
Ifuse = E* SQRT {<LOG[(B/D)+1]>/(T*33)}
Ifuse = 2581* SQRT {<LOG[(1058/210)+1]>/165}
Ifuse = 2581* SQRT {<LOG(6.04)>/165}
Ifuse = 2581* SQRT {0.781/165}
Ifuse = 2581* SQRT {.00473}
Ifuse = 2581* 0.0688
Ifuse = 178A

Last edited:
So that's 178A for 5 seconds to hit the melting temp?

Last edited:
What about the insulation?

The plastic/rubber insulation will burn up long before the conductor vaporises.

Jeez....I have a Tens machine for pain relief and thats enough for me....178Amps...boy you can weld with less than that....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back