Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Supervisor MPU Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

wuchy143

Hi All,

I was wondering what the design considerations typically are for a microcontroller in regards to a supervisor IC. I'm using an 8051(Atmels 89S52) in a 5V system. I have noticed that it is possible for the micro to go crazy/fail with power glitches...noise and other disturbances to the power rails when using the standard RC for the POR.

Depending on the system I don't want to pick a voltage threshold too close to the power rails so when someone hooks up a long cable or for whatever reason voltage goes a few tenth's of a volt below 5 I don't want to have issues.(false resetting) On the flip side if I pick too low of a threshold and when voltage browns out the micro is still allowed to go crazy....any thoughts?

Thanks!

To look for a crash, typically you have the microcontroller generate a continuous pulse train on one of the pins as part of the normal software program loop and have a missing pulse detector watchdog circuit to check for missing pulses. If the pulses are missing, that is a sign that the controller has crashed and the circuit then resets it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back