Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Supercapacitors, so they are not really super !

Status
Not open for further replies.
They both store electrical charge,
I would like to profusely apologise to the ETO community,
when I wrote that expression quoted above, I had a premonition that it would start a semantics pissing contest.
(Can I say p i s s i n g here on ETO?).

It looks as though I was correct.

JimB

Back slightly on topic, we wanted to simulate starting engines at different voltages (11 to 15 volts) so having an ultracap which could be charged to different voltages (rather than our usual test bed 1000CCA 110Ah lead acid battery) was beneficial for this test.

That reminds me, I need to extract my rather nice rack mount PSU (1.2kW 36V) from the unit .........

Back slightly on topic, we wanted to simulate starting engines at different voltages (11 to 15 volts) so having an ultracap which could be charged to different voltages (rather than our usual test bed 1000CCA 110Ah lead acid battery) was beneficial for this test.

How fast did the voltage drop as you cranked?.

That reminds me, I need to extract my rather nice rack mount PSU (1.2kW 36V) from the unit .........

Nice! :D

I would like to profusely apologize to the ETO community,
when I wrote that expression quoted above, I had a premonition that it would start a semantics pissing contest.
(Can I say p i s s i n g here on ETO?).

It looks as though I was correct.

JimB

No need to apologize.
It was a short contest with a clear winner called facts..

Anything called 'super' or 'smart' (like smart TV's) is generally nothing of the kind, hence the name to try and con the gullible into believing it's something it isn't.

Totally agree. have a Samsung "smart TV", System 6. Dumbest TV around.

Google/Samsung is making me play video games with Youtube. Volume is all over the map, 100% can be a whisper. Closed-captioning keeps disapearing. The sound is AWEFUL. Audio, these days is aweful no matter what anyway.

School for me almost said there would be no 1 Farad capacitors and that a parallel plate cap would be the size of a football field.

How fast did the voltage drop as you cranked?.
To be fair, I can't remember too much but on a warm engine testing stop / start, mabe 0.2-0.3v on a crank to start.

It was mainly for the repeatability / predictability / adjustability of the test as we weren't 100% certain which way we'd go with it plus we didn't want to trash a few hundred grands worth of test cell hammering the power systems with the starting of the engine - even the digital output unit would cost around £8k to replace if we wore out a relay.

Google/Samsung is making me play video games with Youtube. Volume is all over the map, 100% can be a whisper. Closed-captioning keeps disapearing. The sound is AWEFUL. Audio, these days is aweful no matter what anyway
Agree completely, I recently bought a sound bar for my TV and the difference in quality is staggering. Highly recommended.

Mike.

Agree completely, I recently bought a sound bar for my TV and the difference in quality is staggering. Highly recommended.

You don't actually need a sound bar - simply wire a decent pair (in fact not even a 'decent' pair) of bookshelf speakers to the sets internal amplifiers, in place of the existing speakers.

The difference is absolutely amazing - I did this for a number of customers back when I worked as a TV engineer.

Or if your set has a headphone socket (not so common now), then plug a decent set of computer speakers in there.

The internal speakers are rubbish though, far too small, and very poorly sited.

Worst I ever saw were some Samsung ones - the speakers were tiny, facing downwards, and over 3/4 of the cone area was blanked off by plastic mouldings - leaving only a tiny hole for sound to escape.

My hearing is shocking, i can't hear higher frequencies. I suspect that the tiny speakers in modern TVs just can't produce the lower frequencies I can hear. Only audio out is optical so soundbar was simplist option - only AU $90 (£42).

Sorry for the thread drift.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back