Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Super WheelChair

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmundy49

I am disabled and bored "poopless" with my slow-ass chair. Can anyone out there give me some ideas on how to speed up my chair? I know upping the voltage would do it, and drop the current so it "should" be nice to my controller - but I'm still scared - I have three chairs, so I guess I can experiment on the oldest one, but it's the new one I use I want to burn rubber with :) Please help if you can - thanks from a 50 year old Geek

A slight increase might be okay, but you are likely to run into stability and safety issues. The chairs are design as a whole, and to certain specifications. Perhaps your own personal safety isn't an issue, but you would be putting other people at risk. Basic physics would tell you that the faster you go, you are will naturally be inclined to continue at the same speed and direction. You stop the chair suddenly, you body gets ejected, turn sharply, the mass will try and continue in the original direction.

You can make it go real fast, but will you be able to control it? Will it remain stable while turning? You should find a chair designed to go fast, and see how it differs from your chair. I use powered equipment at work, some are old an quirky, they stop real sudden, or not at all. I've been knock off a few times over the years, unharmed but shaken, pretty luck. Have also done some damage (shhhh... nobody knows I bent the pole). Other people have broken bones, and done some major damages (yeah, real safe warehouse) over the past 18 years I've been there.

You can't "up the voltage" and "reduce the current" to get an increase in speed.
It simply requires an increase in voltage. The additional current will be taken by the motor as a consequence of the higher voltage.
By adding a 6v battery in series with the 12v supply, you can get an appreciable increase.
Buy 2 x 6v 7AH batteries to make it easy to charge and add one of them via a DPDT switch. Only throw the switch when you need the extra speed. A small 6v battery will be easy to store on the wheelchair.

Best be careful, that much of a voltage boost could be more than enough to chirp the tires.. or flip you ass over tea kettle and break your neck =P Increasing the voltage is going to provide a pretty dramatic boost in stall torque, and might even melt the wiring in the chair, or blow the power control module. The stall current on those kinds of motors is incredible.

Last edited:
Do you want one like this:
**broken link removed**
:D

Geesh guys... I'm 50 years old, and have all my fingers and toes... I've done things that would make most any of you run for momma, and you get all worried about a wheelchair? OF COURSE i would have to change the caster wheels to a steeringwheel setup, make the rear tires run in unison, etc. and maybe cantilever the wheels out at the bottom to help with cornering, but lets face it, just like the muscle cars I grew up with, they didn't turn too good, but man, did they do a fun strait line... that's what I want - a button like nitrous to a third battery.... I'll try it and let ya all know... I wish I could afford the rocket powered chair, but he cheated - its a rocket with a wheelchair frame welded on.... I want a real chair!! I have three, and getting a new one, so I'm ready to build...

I'm not disabled, but I always thought it would be cool to have the wheelchair from the movie "Silver Bullet" by Stephen King. You could go anywhere!

Geesh guys... I'm 50 years old, and have all my fingers and toes... I've done things that would make most any of you run for momma, and you get all worried about a wheelchair? OF COURSE i would have to change the caster wheels to a steeringwheel setup, make the rear tires run in unison, etc. and maybe cantilever the wheels out at the bottom to help with cornering, but lets face it, just like the muscle cars I grew up with, they didn't turn too good, but man, did they do a fun strait line... that's what I want - a button like nitrous to a third battery.... I'll try it and let ya all know... I wish I could afford the rocket powered chair, but he cheated - its a rocket with a wheelchair frame welded on.... I want a real chair!! I have three, and getting a new one, so I'm ready to build...
You should get in touch with this guy.
He has a real chair !!
YouTube - Motorized Lazyboy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back