Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

super Noob Question- help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingdom Man

Hello everyone, I just joined this forum and am looking to learn the basic first steps to using and programing a micro controller. I want to learn just basic functions and commands for simple circuit designs, as I am new to all this and am eager to learn! Any help will be greatly apprecated!

Do you have solid knowledge of electronics in general, or are you coming to this without much electronics knowledge?

I would say I am very new at this, I only know what I have learned through hands on experience, and I am very eager to learn. What exactly would you say is "knowing the Basics"?

**broken link removed**

I taught myself to program using the above site and the site of Nigel. They both have lots of good stuff in assembler. Also they give you an idea of what you are looking at when you are reading data sheets. What banks are and how to do the basics of programing. My best advice is get a pickit or a junebug.

Read at least the first few chapters of the above listed site and you will be able to program a blinking light. Just ask on the forum about how to do the header it takes more time to understand.

good luck

I agree on that site. I first learned from there also.

You should learn the basics of electronics .. nothing to big. you should learn the following at least:

Resistors
Capacitors
Diodes
LEDs

Ohms law is great info to know.

A example of ohms law:

If you have a LED that requires 20mA to turn on nice and bright.

The LED ususally needs 1.2v @ 20mA.

If you connect it to a 5v @ 1A supply it will blow. So you use ohms law to find the resistor value to place so you can connect it without blowing something up.

OHMS law states to find the resistance you use "V/I" which is voltage divided by current

5volts / .020 amps (20mA) = 250 Ohms

So if you use a 250 ohm resistor when connecting the led to the supply it will supply the LED a max of 20mA and light up nice and bright.

Since there arent 250 resistors you get one close to it such as a 220 ohm . If you use a 220 ohm you can determine with ohms law how much currect the led will get by using "V/R" voltage divided by resisance.

5volts / 250 ohms = 0.0227 approx 0.023 Amps aka 23mA.

Nice and easy right?!

Last edited:
What site?

Please delete. Wrong post.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back