Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sum help on a couple of parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

umer007

I m gonna try to build my own computer and was gonna buy parts seperate so i just wanted to know wat the best manufacturers are for the for the following parts:
Hard Drive
CPU
Floppy Drive
CD-Rom Drive
RAM
CPU Fan
Video Card
Sound Card
Modem
Motherboard
Network Card

These are my favourites:
-Hard Drive: Quantum (now owned by maxtor) because I never seen a defective one, all other makes i owned died one time or another

-CPU: That's a tough choise. For some time AMD ruled the scene, but the fastest cpu's now are intel's P4 HT (the expensive top-of-the line). Then again, AMD is lots cheaper.

-Floppy Drive: a what ? :lol:

-CD-Rom Drive: A-Open, They live longer then any other make i owned

-RAM: Depends, All off them work well these days, but some makes offer lifetime warranty. Up to you how much extra you want to pay for it.

Video Card: Eighter a ATI radeon or a Nvidia GeForce based chipset.
Both of these are offered in a complete line from basic (and cheap) up to extreme performance (and 500+ euro's, expensive!)

Sound Card: Normal computer user? onboard or a normal card will do, Gamer? Sound blaster live audigy with 5.1 surround speaker set

Motherboard: Anything EXCEPT A SOYO!, absolute crap!. Ppl also tend to have problems with SiS based chipsets. Hope i don't step on anyone's toes with this :roll:
I've got a MSI know and don't have any problems with it

Network Card: such basic equiment these days that everyone makes them good.

Hard Drive: Maxtor

CPU: a very tough one :!:

Floppy drive: a sloppy what :?:

CD-Drive:
CD-ROM: Asus
CD-RW: Sony and HP

Memory: lots of em are good

Video Cards: ATI rules

Sound Card: Creative

Motherboard: another very tough one :!:

Ppl also tend to have problems with SiS based chipsets. Hope i don't step on anyone's toes with this

yes u did. SiS makes the finest chipsets for both the AMD and Intel platforms.

Network Card: Intel

now i want to tell u that u should first determine how much u r willing to spend and for what r u gonna use that box :!:

when u determine the money u r gonna spend go to shops and see what u can get for the money u have. ask people about their personal experiences. compare prices. do alot of homework on this stuff and then decide what to buy

good luck

i forgot one thing to tell u. if u choose one platform all the components have to be matched with it. e.g if u choose to go for an Intel processor based system u will have to buy a compatible motherboard with compatible ram and so on. so choose wisely.

u could also buy a $10000 Pentium4 EE (Extreme Edition) or a AMD Athlon64 3400+ but that depends all on u.

For the video cards, you have to be REALLY REALLY careful.

For example: GeForce 4 Ti4200 64 MB 4x AGP is actually faster than GeForce 4 Ti4200 128 MB 4x AGP. It is slower than the 128 MB 8x AGP.

If you want directx 9 compatibility, get a Radeon 9200 PRO, or better, but do not get a Radeon SE card.

If you want a great card at a great price, get a GeForce 4 Ti 4200 64 MB 4x AGP from Ebay, made by Asus for $80 shipped including insurance from a guy named something like rgy972 or similar. (I must say that I purchased 2 cards from him in seperate auctions, so far he has 1 positive feedback from me but I'm waiting for him to send me a replacement for a broken fan clip before I leave the second positive feedback.)

If you have to have a new nVidia card, DO NOT GET AN FX5200!!! I swear on my nuts they are slower than my GeForce 3 Ti200.

Do NOT get a GeForce 4 MX card.

Lastly, if you don't play games, ignore EVERYTHING before this line and buy whatever you want :)

If you go with a P4 setup, I'd recommend a motherboard that supports RDRAM, It's a night and day difference in performance versus SDRAM.

Eclipsed said:
If you go with a P4 setup, I'd recommend a motherboard that supports RDRAM, It's a night and day difference in performance versus SDRAM.

what????? RDRAM :lol: :lol:

RDRAM was the worst nightmare for the intel folks. and what are u compairing it with SDRAM. i assume u r talking about PC 133 SDRAM. but thats too old. now there is DDR-SDRAM (double data rate synchronuos dynamic random access memory. and soon DDR-II will make a debut. DDR is also available in dual memory configuration so the DDR technology has alot of memory bandwidth.

if the person who asked the question plans to buy a computer i suggest him to wait a bit until PCI-Express and DDR-II is standard on all boards. there are a dozens of new technologies that are gonna be introduced soon. so buy a system that will contain those technologies

what are you planing to use the PC for and what is the budget?
if you want something really solid and screaming fast and cool and
with hot chick sitting on it there is only one thing you can do:

contact **broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back