Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Suggests for a broken part on a PC motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zappa1970

Hello everyone, this is my first post here, my name is Alex and I'm from Italy. I joined here because it really seems a forum haunted by very well-prepared persons.

I accidentally broke a small component in my motherboard while installing the video card. Is a small piece around which there's a thiny copper wire wrapped. I have identified the component as an "SMD Inductor" with "4R7" printed on the top.

Here is an image:
**broken link removed**

Someone told me that it "should be" a sort of demagnetizer which only serves to eliminate static electricity and theoretically i could ignore this lack.

My PC seems start and work normally, but I'm afraid that might be dangerous and i don't know if it would be better at least to complete the circuit somehow...

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggest that will be very appreciated.

Zeroing the camera in on the subject part would have been a lot nicer than a panaramic shot of Europe. A 4.7 ohm resistor would likely be in series with a power supply line along with a capacitor to ground for some decoupling. I'd expect then that there would be SOMETHING on the MB that isn't working, although it may be something that you never use. In inductance, 4R7 would indicate 4.7 henrys, something the size of a power transformer in a 1952 TV set.

Last edited:
It looks like an interference-suppression inductor (a winding on a ferrite core). When you say it is broken do you mean a piece of ferrite has been broken off? If so, and you still have the piece, then stick it back on with resin adhesive. If you don't, then it's probably ok left as it is.
Are you sure the marking is 4R7, rather than 4µ7 ?

Alec

Last edited:
You might have broken the ferrite part , and perhaps the coil connections are in tact.
if so, the inductor value might change as it is working ok, leave it for the present.
and enjoy using your PC.
all the best !!!

Hi all, and thanks a lot for all your reponse! So, after some days i finally understand what doesn't works on the motherboard and it's the Ethernet LAN (which i don't use). The piece of ferrite have a little corner broken and honestly, in any case, i dont think it so easy for anyone to resolder that little piece. Someone told me that i just can apply a 4.7 ohm resistance, someone else told me that i might get lucky by simply putting a drop of pond (and it could be within my reach :)!

Last edited:
If the ferrite choke is part of the Ethernet LAN circuit and that no longer works then the choke wire might be broken, or possibly there's a micro-crack in a circuit track near the choke. Whatever, if you're happy with the PC functioning then forget the choke!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back