Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Suggestions for a DAC/ADC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marks256

Can anyone suggest a programmable A/D D/A chip? Serial communication to a microcontroller is preferred, but parallel is fine as well. 8 bits of resolution is plenty, no more than 16 bit resolution. Must have a minimum of 8 channels, but the more the better. 16+ channels is preferred.

If it exists, i would also like it so each channel is programmable independently to be A/D or D/A.

Hope i'm not getting my hopes up wishing a chip like this exists :)

Thanks all!

Could you tell us a little more about the signals you'll be measuring (bandwidth, etc).

Last edited:
Umm... I don't even know... Umm... Let's say a minimum of 4MHz? Just a guess. There really is no set value.

I did find an I2C ADC/DAC, but it was only a single channel.

I basically need to test a wide range of unknown inputs

4MHz is FAST for A/D?? :/ hmm... I suppose that would make sense.

Well how does an oscilloscope do it? They can do 100MHz, so how is that done? I don't need 100MHz, 10 would actually be more than enough. 4 would probably more than enough. But still, how does an o-scope do it?

blueroomelectronics said:
what are you trying to build? A scope?

Well... technically yes... technically no. I'd rather not say what i'm building. but basically i want to build a logic analyzer, but i need analog inputs so i can tell if the input is tristate. So basically i want to make a logic analyzer that can tell if an input is in tristate as well.

I think i may just try to find a way to do this digitally, instead of having a 100k resistor goign to vcc and gnd and reading 2.5v if it is tristate.

Well you don't need an A/D or D/A for a logic analyzer. Logic probes do tristate, analyzers normally do not (they are high speed latches).

blueroomelectronics said:
Well you don't need an A/D or D/A for a logic analyzer. Logic probes do tristate, analyzers normally do not (they are high speed latches).

Well... see, i would also like the inputs to work as outputs, too. Digital and Analog outputs. So for digitial i could just output 0v and 5v, and analogue would just simply be analog. But it seems that is not possible at the moment, so i just may leave that functionality out.

3v0 said:
told you how to do this in the other thread using a small cap ?

Yes, this is probably what i will use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back