Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

suggest microcontroller development system

Status
Not open for further replies.

joecioppi

Hi Friends,

I'm an old timer who's now out of industry, but want to apply the current data controlled chips with a flexible development board. There are several controller chip based kits around....what do the experienced hobby programmers use?

My analog experience is still useful, but many current devices are either programmed controller chips or controlled by data from a controller. The easiest to program software is a factor.

Thanks,

Joe

What does easy to program mean to you? Can you program in ASM C or BASIC ?

Hi 3,

I suppose I mean that the convenience is important and the language is on board or easily acquired. The windows versions of languages seem to cost a lot and the asm code requires a lot of study for chips new to me. I am suddenly cash poor and want to keep costs down.

joecioppi

I teach courses in electrical engineering. Our introductory microprocessors class uses the HCS12 by Freescale, using this board:

16-bit HCS12 DG128 Stand Alone Student Learning Kit Product Summary Page

Our advanced classes use the PIC Demo 2 + from microchip, here:

**broken link removed**

Both use free software for the IDE and compilers (from their respective companies), whether C or assembly language. HTH :)

A number of us have been using microchip's 18F family of micro controllers (uC). As Bill said both C and Basic can be had for free.

The modern uC's are a system on a chip. The newer version do not even need an external crystal. You can slap on into a solderless breadboard, hook up about 5 wires and it is up and running.

The only tool you need to buy is a programmer. You can buy one for as little as $14 but the real value is in the PICkit2 type programmers for about $50. They include hardware run control which allow you to single step and set breapoints in your ASM BASIC or C.

If you want a learning platform Bill's PICkit2 clone, the Junebug, has a built in 18F1320 target with LEDs, switches etc. I use the Junebug in my high school classroom.

3v0

Last edited:
Maybe it is best to start simple. I started with the basic stamp from Parallax, very nice and easy to learn, though a bit limited and not very cheap. After a while I switched to pic microcontrollers and the picbasic pro compiler which still fits my needs perfectly. But just buy a basic stamp from parallax.com and see if it works for you.

Joe, Im an old fart in exactly the same situation ;-).

I found this very easy and cheap to use. Interpreted basic can be slow, but unless speed is critical, its a short learning curve no-brainer.

The only real motivation for using a PICAXE is fear.

A 18F pic, swordfish basic, and a PICkit2/Junebug is a better solution.

Once you have the programmer you can choose from a wide range of inexpensive fast processors.

The only down side I can see if having to write the processor config statement. You can get help with that here.

3vo, fear is a mighty powerfull motivator, your absolutely correct there ;-).

It has built in no brainer one-line-code drivers for I2C, one wire devices, displays, speach synths, serial coms, A/D, even web servers, et al.

FEAR, my friend, the old farts enemy, the great confidence destroyer ;-).

Friends,

Thanks for all your efforts to bring me into the controller world. At least in this group, the PIC is the range you are all behind. I should be able to do well with your suggestions.

My first efforts will be to get an mp3 chip to play, then record. I will report my progress at the first sign.

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back