Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Suggest a Project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty well convinced based on a second visit to grad school from 2001-2004 that they are intelligent, they work very hard, they never sleep, and they have no social life to speak of.

When it comes to creative ideas, oral presentations, or actually fabricating something they turn into quivering masses of jelly. I was in pretty high demand as a project team member because I've been doing those thing my whole life.

At the risk of being slightly OT, I would say that creativeness should really kick off big style when you start your first job. Look at how things are being done and visualize some other methods that will save time and money for the company you work for. I have constructed numerous 'Special boxes' and here is an example;
A special safety ohmmeter was purchased for checking the very low resistance continuity of armament shell fuzes, there were 4 pairs of screened wires. Device failures or rather arming computer shut downs were being caused by a high impedance leak to earth from faulty fuze wire filters that were way out of the resistance range of the safety ohmmeter. The constraints on testing fuzes is something like, a test voltage no greater than 2V at a current no greater than a few milliamps and usually done using a wheatstone bridge. With this restricted power supply it was required to determine if any of the fuze wire insulation was below or above 1M Ohm!
I solved the problem by making for my company a box with a push button MEASURE switch, a TEST switch that selected either o/c or a fixed 1M Ohm resistor and a Red and Green LED. I used a split 3V supply (2 x 1.5V AA cells in series) with 1.5V current limited to the fuze wires and the full 3V for indicators and measuring circuit. The box tested all eight fuze wires at once with a simple press of the button which gave either a RED fail or GREEN pass illumination. It is in fact capable of discriminating 1M Ohms +10k which was far above my expectations for such a simple device.
But it works and it has saved many potential failures in trials etc. that would have wasted $000's
Getting back to the original problem of finding a subject for radio comms, at what level are you thinking of approaching? i.e. applications towards actual RF transmission or perhaps signal generation or even the digital control?
Taking RF for example, maybe it would be nice to design an integrated test box that measured RF Power, SWR, antenna impedance and include a cable reflectometer for finding bad connections in long runs of coaxial cable? Measurement of S parameters with a PC connection for display and print out of a Smiths Chart? It is difficult for me to think about useful items of test gear for the time multiplexed signal traffic etc as it is way out of my own personal field.
Finally! Yes I do apologise for this rather long post, I find most students ask the question of 'What can I build' because all the usual things have been done and they are seeking something new or novel that has not been done before. You are disadvantaged by not actually working in the field where real problems manifest themselves and ask for something special to assist. Remember the old saying: "Necessity is the The Mother of Invention". If in desperation you have to select something as simple as an SWR meter then try to think of a novel approach to it that has not been done before, either in measurement technique or display. Most importantly, whatever you do, ensure that you complete a very comprehensive literature pack with circuits, construction sketches, test/calibration results, how it works and even your first ideas! I think presentation of your work rather than the actual device itself will give you most bonus points here. Good Luck with your project and attaining your qualifications!
Les

Last edited:
Top Cap makes several very interesting points. I'd like to add one more. The most fun I ever had on a science project was in the eighth grade, and it was a complete failure producing no measureable results. I still got an A, for applying the scientific method to a problem, designing an experiment, and presenting the results.

I attempted to measure the force on a spinning ball to explain what makes a baseball curve. My mother was appalled when I canabalized her vacuum cleaner to make a crude wind tunnel. It's too bad the postage stamp scale was unable to measure the force of the airflow on the spinning ball.

hi,

As discussed by many of people participating in this discussion, i just wish to tell them that i also do have ideas, but there practical implementation is very difficult. Like
1. Making a switch which can handle atleast 4 calls simultaneously.
2. Making an Intelligent Network in Mobile communication.

If any one can give me suggestions on any of the above or any other topic then please reply.

Thanks & regards
Rochit

How about an electronic "pooper scooper" for the crowded streets of India? You can't tell me that with all those cows running loose, your streets are as clean as those in Toronto, Canada!

There is a Canadian city near Toronto with many people wearing turbans. It is near the huge airport and those guys are taxi drivers. The fumes from curry burn your eyes if you are a couple of miles away. They let their cows on the streets only in the middle of the night. Nobody scoops the poop.

Last edited:
... and some of you northern neighbors have the nerve to call us here in the states, cowboys? At least we fence in our cattle, use small skid steerers to scoop the poo, and then spread it amongst the crops as fertilizer. To control their population growth, we eat them, now imagine that!

So, what's the name of this wannabe New Delhi, Canadian town?
I came across a webcam prolly mounted atop a light post at the corner of Sigsbee & Waterloo Streets.;) I wonder what parents say to their young children when these roaming dunces decide to mate in the middoe of the road?:eek:
**broken link removed**

I have never chatted on an electronics chat site in India. I wonder why many Indians try to chat here instead of there? Whatever we suggest then they can't get the parts.

Do electronic chat sites even exist in India/Pakistan? If so I wouldn't last very long as I'd have to break away for dinner, consisting of a T-bone steak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back