Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

substitution for ferric chloride

Status
Not open for further replies.
You may be surprised to learn that I do know the difference between perchlorate and persulphate. My point, and question, is that you have not given any reason why Ammonium Persulphate is not preferable over Ferric Chloride. You claim the high ground on chemistry but have to resort to questioning my reading ability! BTW, what illegal activity am I encouraging?

Yes, I'm surprised. Maybe you can tell me how perchlorate works as a copper etchant for PCB, then.
As for the illegal activity I more than alluded to, but which seems to have somehow eluded you -- it varies from place to place, but purposely dumping concentrated toxic chemicals and heavy metal compounds down the drain, in the storm drain, or on the ground is illegal in my part of the world. Thankfully so, but for the few who choose to flout the law and common sense.

Really? Your questioning my knowledge because of a typing mistake which was corrected before any reply?

And as for dumping copper sulphate down the drain, how do you explain this?
Root Cleaner.jpg

This is sold to pour down drains!!

Mike.

We seem to agree that throwing copper ions down the drain is not a problem,

NO WE DON'T -- That's precisely the issue have a problem with!!!! I've said it several times now!! Where the heck did you get that idea?!

Again, strangely lacking the words Ammonium Persulphate.
If you knew anything about inorganic chemistry, you wouldn't ask that. I'm not about to squeeze 1 year of highschool chemistry into a flailing and floundering blog post.

Why did you state "Now, there's an incorrect and irresponsible statement!"?
Seriously? After all this?!?! I give up. Ignorance, arrogance, and obduracy are a BAD combination.

Lecturing again. At least I got you to answer one question. Another three pages and you might answer the others.

Mike.

NO WE DON'T -- That's precisely the issue have a problem with!!!! I've said it several times now!! Where the heck did you get that idea?!
Maybe you'd be kind enough to point out where you stated this fact.
You seem to be suggesting the opposite when you posted "5) Your apparent assumption that people would be dumping their unexhausted Ferric Chloride, rather than the solution which should be mostly dissolved copper salts is also very confusing to this argument. Why would anyone do that?"

If you knew anything about inorganic chemistry, you wouldn't ask that. I'm not about to squeeze 1 year of highschool chemistry into a flailing and floundering blog post.
More lecturing. Try answering the question. What is wrong with Ammonium Persulphate?

Mike.

Do you even know what "lecturing" means?? You say it like it's a bad thing. Maybe if you ever paid attention to a chemistry lecture, we wouldn't be having this ridiculous and circular and repetitive joke of an intercourse.
I've already answered all your questions at least once. Re-read everything again a few times slowly and carefully, and maybe you'll catch on. If not, you're on your own -- you either don't like, or can't understand what I'm saying, so there's no point.

And again, not a single question answered. Just more personal attacks.

Mike.

For the last time, and only because I'm starting to feel sorry for you:
Read posts # 5, 9, 11, 14, 16, 19, 21, 23, and 24. They all very clearly say the same thing -- #19 says it in more detail.

Your original statement that "CuSO4... [is] Far more environmentally friendly than Ferric Chloride." is nonsense on 2 levels:
First, it simply isn't true. Sorry, I can't explain it within the confines of this blog -- it's just that simple. Copper Sulfate is NOT more "environmentally friendly" than ferric chloride -- by any measure!! PERIOD!
Second, it is irrelevant to the topic of this conversation anyway! The question isn't which etchant is better of worse for the environment, because they're both relatively benign as far as the environment goes.
IT'S THE PRODUCT, THE END RESULT OF THE ETCH, THE FRIKKIN COPPER that's the problem! It doesn't make one darn bit of difference which etchant you use because the end product, Copper salts, is the same! In this context, and assuming you know something about chemistry, I can't understand your obsession with ammonium persulfate!
This is basic basic BASIC inorganic chemistry!

Now that I've said the same thing TEN TIMES, I'm done!

I don't have an obsession with ammonium persulphate. I simply answered the original question. It seems to be you who has an obsession about copper salts. Although, that only became clear after much probing.

Are you still stating that pouring copper sulphate solution down the drain is illegal and irresponsible? Or that precipitating it and throwing it in the trash is also irresponsible?

BTW, "because you're too thick to understand it", is not a good answer.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back