Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stuck on impedance / phase angle question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ric_uk

Hi,

First post here. Found this forum whilst looking for resources to complete an electrical assignment for a uni course. I'm an aircraft mechanic trying his best to study towards a degree but I'm finding the electrical theory a real challenge.

This is the question;

A circuit consists of a 10mH inductor in series with a 25ohm resistor and it is supplied with a power source of 10V at 400 Hz.

a. Calcultate;

i. The inductor's reactance
ii. The circuit's impedance
iii. The phase angle between the circuit current and voltage
iv. The total current in the circuit
v. The voltage across the inductor and resistor

b. Draw the voltage and impedance phasor diagram.

I started off using XL = 2*pi*f*L to get the inductor's reactance (I assume I'm correct). But what the hell do I do next? This is all stuff I haven't come across before so I'm unsure of the next step. I've been googling and searching like crazy for a guide that explains everything, but I'm just getting myself lost in the details.

Any assistance to point me in the right direction would be great!

Hi,

First post here. Found this forum whilst looking for resources to complete an electrical assignment for a uni course. I'm an aircraft mechanic trying his best to study towards a degree but I'm finding the electrical theory a real challenge.

This is the question;

A circuit consists of a 10mH inductor in series with a 25ohm resistor and it is supplied with a power source of 10V at 400 Hz.

a. Calcultate;

i. The inductor's reactance
ii. The circuit's impedance
iii. The phase angle between the circuit current and voltage
iv. The total current in the circuit
v. The voltage across the inductor and resistor

b. Draw the voltage and impedance phasor diagram.

I started off using XL = 2*pi*f*L to get the inductor's reactance (I assume I'm correct). But what the hell do I do next? This is all stuff I haven't come across before so I'm unsure of the next step. I've been googling and searching like crazy for a guide that explains everything, but I'm just getting myself lost in the details.

Any assistance to point me in the right direction would be great!

hi,

Look at this link;:)

Electrical impedance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Give it a go and post your answers, we will take it from there.

Hi Ric,

Go here... Electrical and Electronic Principles ... - Google Books

It should take you to an exert in a book - Electronic Principles by John Bird.. which is an example for your problem...

If not google it and then do a search inside this book... "Impedance" you need page 202..

If you haven't got this book it's well worth the money. It has worked examples and I recommend it to all my students.

Best of Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back