Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Strobe Light + Beat Detector

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menticol

Hello everyone!

I'm modifying a strobe light trigger, in orden to fire it according to a music input. I've made some work, but I'm stuck on the 4th point.

1) The strobe light is just a cheap 12V chinese model, nothing interesting about that.

2) The lamp's trigger will be wired in series with a TRIAC, driven via optocoupler by the circuit.

3) Next part was the bandpass filter, to allow only low frecuencies to trigger the circuit. I've found a schematic (attached).

4) Now the bad part. I don't know a decent way to trigger the strober only when Low Frecuency signal reaches a determined Threshold (loudness).

I recurred to my old friend LM3915, using only one of its LED outputs (# 5). But is a waste of machine, I guess there is a better way!

On google I've found a microcontroller solution, but I have zero experience with them.

Is the solution some kind of comparator?

Thank you Microtexan! I'll check your links in a moment

PS: I just realized I did not attached anything - I'm sorry, here is it.

Attachments

• lowpass.jpg
    lowpass.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 1,237
  • strobotrigger1.gif
    strobotrigger1.gif
    2.4 KB · Views: 972
Unfortunetly, I had no luck with the color organ circuit. Instead of working as a low pass filter, the circuit acts as a volume control. The capacitor just removes some of the low frecuencies, the opposite of the desired effect.

I guess the correct filter should include a coil, and a capacitor. https://www.tpub.com/content/neets/14181/css/14181_50.htm

All the circuits that I have found are active filters, or use IC's amplifiers (and the ic's require positive and negative voltage supplies). Maybe that's a requeriment for good quality audio, but my requeriment is much more simpler.

Any suggestion would be very, very appreciated

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back