Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Store Number of Customers Counting System

Status
Not open for further replies.
What don't you (are you the OP?) understand?

Ah well now you have your third post.

Hint, read up on how quadrature encoders work.

Last edited:
If you found Reloadron's schematic too complex then you really really should reconsider your carrier choice after four years of university! I learned that stuff in high school.

If you found Reloadron's schematic too complex then you really really should reconsider your carrier choice after four years of university! I learned that stuff in high school.

Surprisingly we are both at the top of our class haha! But seriously now, we don't want to see your posts if you arn't going to help us. Thanks!

Well if we look back at the simple people counter we really have two signals. We have a clock pulse and we have a logic level that tells us up or down. A few sensors and gates do the decision making. So let's say we have a PIC out there rather than a counter chip. The front end of the circuit doesn't know or care what is out there. It works independently. So lets say we run our count up or down signal to out pic on a digital input line. Now we know as drawn that if that line is logic low and a clock pulse is received we want the counter to increment up a count and if the logic is low we want to decrement the count. So we have let's say N is the count. Therefore a pulse for count will be either N plus 1 or N minus 1. Logically since we need to start with an empty room or store that N would equal 0. At this point it is just a matter of writing the code for your PIC. IF a line is low and a pulse comes along on another digital in THEN ... I am sure you get the idea. Remember in my posted circuit (which is a common logic circuit) forget the counter chip and look at the two signals from the front end that make it work.

I won't do the work or write the code samples. However, I will keep pointing. :)

Ron

Last edited:
McGill University

Wow. That's two wow's for one thread, a record for me.

You've got one year left, at the top of your class and you find Reloadron's schematic difficult to understand. Do you know what it is? It could easily be ported to a PIC and they even have PICs that do that sort of encoding in hardware (the 16F684 isn't one though it could easily be done in the firmware).

All you need are the optics and some form of display.

http://www.sxlist.com/techref/io/sensor/pos/enc/quadrature.htm

Last edited:
Well if we look back at the simple people counter we really have two signals. We have a clock pulse and we have a logic level that tells us up or down. A few sensors and gates do the decision making. So let's say we have a PIC out there rather than a counter chip. The front end of the circuit doesn't know or care what is out there. It works independently. So lets say we run our count up or down signal to out pic on a digital input line. Now we know as drawn that if that line is logic low and a clock pulse is received we want the counter to increment up a count and if the logic is low we want to decrement the count. So we have let's say N is the count. Therefore a pulse for count will be either N plus 1 or N minus 1. Logically since we need to start with an empty room or store that N would equal 0. At this point it is just a matter of writing the code for your PIC. IF a line is low and a pulse comes along on another digital in THEN ... I am sure you get the idea. Remember in my posted circuit (which is a common logic circuit) forget the counter chip and look at the two signals from the front end that make it work.

I won't do the work or write the code samples. However, I will keep pointing. :)

Ron

You're lovely!

Schools don't care anymore if you actually learned something.
You can skimp through school using google to do all your homework. Do your homework, and regardless of how many tests you fail, you'll still pass.
The school system really is a joke.

You can skimp through school using google to do all your homework. Do your homework, and regardless of how many tests you fail, you'll still pass.

Were done talking to you now. Good bye!

Ron

We think we're getting somewhere with the diagram but what is the purpose of the middle diode (1N914)?

Thank you for the contribution. :)

As to D3 the diode. Think about it. I see a diode a cap and a resistor all shoved in there. Maybe wave shaping? Maybe it is just used as a blocking diode? Maybe at design time someone had a left over 1N914 diode so they had an urge to use it for something? C'mon, you guys tell me why it's there. :)

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back