Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

stereo/sat nav unit to be repaired

Status
Not open for further replies.

benaknoun

hi everyone, i hope i could find some help here..
here's the issue:
i have a car radio/cd/sat nav headunit, fitted to some peugeot vehicles, it does radio/cd and also satellite navigation using a map cd.
this stereo has unfortunately been updated with the wrong software cd, since then it doesn't work, it is completely dead, apart from the main power that comes on, all the rest doesn't respond, the cd doesnt work, radio, nothing works..
i have done some research and found that it might be a question of reprogramming the memory chip.
i have opened the stereo, and found 2 Q flash memory chips and 2 SDRAM memory chips, i'm not sure which one needs erasing/reprogramming, but they are all TSOP type and was wondering what the next step/solution might be.
what do i have to do?

thanks in advance.
i hope i have posted in the right section of the forum

It would be the flash memory chips that need reprogramming. Unless you have the firmware AND the programmer for these chips, you are probably out of luck.
The issue with these types of problems is that the bootloader, which loads the new firmware, is located on the same flash chip as is being reprogrammed. When you loaded the wrong firmware you also loaded the wrong bootloader. Thus the need for the actual programmer for the chip.

hi, thanks for the answer.
i can tell you i'm not an expert in these things, but can i just say that the wrong software was uploaded via a software disc, using the car cd player, when the unit was on in the car, the wrong software cd was loaded and the update started and then eventually everything crashed.
i have the correct software disc to put in, but the problem is, when i switch on the headunit, which comes on ok, the cd drive/cd player doesn't respond and therefore doesn't take the correct disc in..
isn't it correct to erase whats in the memory chips right now, fit them back, and then load the correct software disc using the cd drive? or is it wrong what i'm saying?
in regards to the programmer, i haven't purchased one yet but i am looking at the xeltek superpro 580u which covers this type of flash memory ( TSOP 56 pin ).
and to erase the contents of the memory chips, i'm not sure what to use, i guess a UV eraser but not sure which one.
sorry about the long message but i want to resolve this issue so bad.
thanks
here's a picture of the motherboad.

kind regards
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x244/m3mpower/DSC02133.jpg

isn't it correct to erase whats in the memory chips right now, fit them back, and then load the correct software disc using the cd drive?
That is incorrect. The firmware to load the new firmware is supposed to be on the corrupted chip. That is the catch22, so to speak.
n regards to the programmer, i haven't purchased one yet but i am looking at the xeltek superpro 580u which covers this type of flash memory ( TSOP 56 pin ).
and to erase the contents of the memory chips, i'm not sure what to use, i guess a UV eraser but not sure which one.
The programmer should also erase the chip. It's been a long time since UV erasure has been required. Such chips have a little glass window on top.
What you'll need is a good chip out of an identical player which you can copy.
BTW, your link to the picture did not post properly

Last edited:
Last edited:
You would have to contact the maker of the satnav company and find out if there's any way to update those chips when the device is in it's current state, logic would say they have some way to reprogram the chips, you may be able to send it to a service center for a charge to have to reprogrammed.

Those look like SRAM chips not flash though.

You would have to contact the maker of the satnav company and find out if there's any way to update those chips when the device is in it's current state, logic would say they have some way to reprogram the chips, you may be able to send it to a service center for a charge to have to reprogrammed.

Those look like SRAM chips not flash though.
hi, yes they are Q flash, not SRAM.
the only place that repairs is the laboratory in italy and it will cost me a lot to send it there for repair.
also, i'm trying to learn and do it myself.

regards

Unless you can find someone who already has a programmer for those chips, it would probably end up cheaper just to buy a new Satnav! You also may not be able to program those chips on board using some generic programmers.
It might be worth your while to contact the manufacturer about a utility/method for recovering a corrupted unit. Sometimes they have stuff that is not released officially, but is still available.

Regardless of weather or not you are able to program that particular chip is irrelevant though if you don't have the file to actually flash to it, you HAVE to get that from somewhere. Either the maker, or another device exactly like it in known working condition.

hi, thanks for your responses guys.
yes, i have a couple of other headunits, exactly the same, in good working order.
and i dont want to send the faulty unit back to italy and pay over the odds to repair it, it will simply cost me more then buying another "second hand" satnav unit.
unless i repair it myself, i will use it for parts or throw it in the bin, so can we please try to find a solution for this, like i said, i am willing to buy an expensive programmer to do the job, and keep it for future tasks as i work in the motor industry and i will use it.....
now, the good news is i have another unit in good working order, so the question is:
- what can i do to erase the wrong software from the old chips and load the correct one from the good working unit to the old chips??
thanks again

Can you post the entire text as it appears on the flash chips?

- what can i do to erase the wrong software from the old chips and load the correct one from the good working unit to the old chips??
Erase the old chip with the expensive programmer. Read a good chip with the expensive programmer. You could optionally save the data as a file at this point. Program the data into the erased chip with the expensive programmer.

Last edited:
_IF_ the expensive programmer can even read from the stock chip, some flash chips have protection methods.

Erase the old chip with the expensive programmer. Read a good chip with the expensive programmer. You could optionally save the data as a file at this point. Program the data into the erased chip with the expensive programmer.

can this be done while the chips are still on the board or do they have to be desoldered?
thanks

You'd most likely need to remove the chip from the PCB. It looks like the **broken link removed**
has security features built in so a 100% copy will fail. Looks like you are out of luck.

None that I can think of. Any one else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back