Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stereo goes silent for a second when tapped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shosty

I'm a 100% novice when it comes to electronics but I figured I'd try to post here in hopes that someone might be able to help me out. Any advice would be really appreciated.

I have a Panasonic sa-ak78 "bookshelf-style" stereo system. Sound is fine but when I tap lightly on the case of the system, the sound cuts out for a second. This also happens (infrequently) without any contact. Any advice on what might be the issue?

Thanks again.

Maybe a bad solder joint on the printed circuit board.
upload_2016-6-18_22-30-34.jpeg

I feel like with an inexperienced eye, that might be something that is hard for me to spot. Any tell-tale signs of a bad solder joint?

Another possibility is a poor connection at any of the multi-pin cable/board connectors which you are likely to find inside. Try gently waggling them and make sure they are fully engaged.
As for the solder joints, you would need to examine them under good light with a strong magnifier (at least 3X magnification), looking for hair-line cracks (often in a ring shape around pins of heavier or thermally stressed components such as transformers, large electrolytic caps and power semiconductors).

Does the fault effect all modes. I.E. radio, CD, Tape, external input ? This will help to reduce the parts of the unit that you need to need to inspect. If it happens in all modes then you only need to look at the parts after the input selection circuit. If it does effect all modes then I would suspect the power supply that feeds the power amplifiers. As it goes off on both channels it is unlikely to be a fault on the power amplifiers themselves as that would only effect one channel.

Les.

Thanks so much for the replies.

Yes it affects multiple input modes (cd and aux). Yes it is both channels.

I think the takeaway from your input is that this is something beyond my abilities to repair as I've never soldered anything in my life. Will have to take it to someone WI h some expertise.

Thanks again for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back