Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stepper Motor using PLC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ming0521

Hi!

I am doing my thesis right now and I need some help. =)

I have a linear positioner/actuator ball screw type which is powered by a stepper motor 2phase, 2.5V, 3A.

Now I want the stepper motor connected to PLC (Siemens: S200), can that be directly connected or do you still need a driver? Sorry Im new with stepper motors.

Thanks =)

Hi,

Ideally you would require one of these:

https://www.automation.siemens.com/...er/s7-200/function-modules/Pages/Default.aspx

I have driven a stepper motor from an S7-300 plc but the performance was not terrific. Regular transistor / fet outputs are restricted in the current capability (about 100mA I think) and they will supply +24V DC. I made a mosfet dual H-bridge and connected that to the PLC so that it could drive my +12V / 400ma per phase stepper. Regular PLC digital output cards have fairly slow switching times and this limits the frequency at which you can drive your H-Bridge / stepper.

You could use relay outputs provided your particular S7-200 has that capability, this would allow you to drive the stepper directly at lower voltage and higher current but relays are probably not the best way to be switching highly inductive stepper windings anyway. And the switching frequency will still be poor, probably slower than the transistor output version.

IMG_5498.JPG IMG_5494.JPG

AB

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back