Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stepper Motor Controller/Driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyroflea

First off, what's the difference between a Stepper Motor Controller and Driver, or is there even one?

Secondly, I'm looking to make a relatively inexpensive controller for 3 motors. It has to be able to drive 3 motors simultaneously in both rotational directions, and has to connect to a PC in some manner for controlling. I was looking at one over on Instructables that seems to be pretty good. Link: Easy to build CNC Mill Stepper Motor and Driver circuits

So my questions are...

1) Is that a good controller? Any modifications need to be made?
2) Is there a better controller I can make for the price?

Thanks.

you can buy a stepper driver for pretty cheap. I baught some pretty heavy duty ones for some 9 amp 1300oz/in motors in my machine for like 89 a piece. You can buy smaller ones for much much less. Check ebay, you can get the driver and motor in a package for pretty cheap. If you want to build your own, the only gain would really be satisfaction of doing it yourself.
As for the controler vs. driver, a driver is nothing more than an amplifier. a motion controller is completely different i believe. i use EMC2 which uses the pc as the actual motion controller instead of having external hardware.

Well I just need a 3-axis controller that can connect to a PC, and it seems like it's a lot more expensive buying a pre-made one as opposed to making one myself.

Hi,

If you want to experiment with small unipolars stepper motors, each one can be controlled with as little as a single chip.

breadboard-uln2803et-step-jpg.30993

Shearch this forum. There is already a lot of informations available.

Alain

Okay, thank you. One small issue I'm having. My computer that I'm planning on running this with is a micro-ATX setup, in a slim case. It does not have a parallel port. So I'm wondering if it's possible to get this to work with USB, Firewire, or even 15-pin D-Sub (Analog video port), or if I need to try to find a slim Parallel expansion card.

Okay, thank you. One small issue I'm having. My computer that I'm planning on running this with is a micro-ATX setup, in a slim case. It does not have a parallel port. So I'm wondering if it's possible to get this to work with USB, Firewire, or even 15-pin D-Sub (Analog video port), or if I need to try to find a slim Parallel expansion card.

All this is another ball game! I can't help you on that.

I run all my steppers with olds computers that I run from DOS (not pseudo DOS). I use TurboCNC software (DOS versions) that you can have for free. Sometime I also use TurboBasic, an old DOS basic to run them. I play with steppers only for my pleasure, as a hobby. But even then it is possible to acheive works of great precision. The difference between a home made simple driver and a very sophisticated expensive one is not really the precision. It is mainly the speed at witch you can run the motors. It could make a difference (maybe) on the precision on an extremely good mecanical set up but you would have to be "extremely" good to make a machine that thight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwjynFhSbWk&feature=channel

YouTube - 3 axis CNC for PCB drilling

Alain

Last edited:
Alain what did you use to draw the breadboard?

Hi,

I am very glad you ask!

Have a look at this tread. It is all there;

PEBBLE - Picaxe Electronic Bread Board Layout Emulator - PICAXE Forum

Try the online version first. Take a long time to load, I think it is because it is hosted on a server very far, down there.

It will not install anything in your computer.

I am happy to make a bit of promotion for this free emulator that I find very fun to use.

Here is another board that I made. But this particular BreadBoard and the trimmer, the relay, the counter and the power supply are not available in the original PEBBLE (There is 2 other trimmers and relays available). I made them myself and included them in my copy of PEBBLE. Just need a bit of programming:

photocellsch-pebble-jpg.32560

Alain

(I use Paint Shop Pro to capture the image from PEBBLE and make a JPG file for posting)

Attachments

• PhotoCellSch PEBBLE.jpg
    PhotoCellSch PEBBLE.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 2,876
Last edited:
That's a very neat program! Just got it installed, gonna fool around with it for a bit :) I guess what it gets down to right now is, would it be better to go with A) The stepper controller on the Instrucables link, B) The Linistepper, or C) A different design altogether? Thanks guys :)

I have been looking around a little bit, and stumbled across PMinMO.com . I was looking at the **broken link removed**, the **broken link removed**, and **broken link removed** (I didn't see a name for it). Any of those any good, or should I still look into the last ones I previously mentioned?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back