Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stepper Motor Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Motorhead

Hi All,

Was wondering if someone out there could help a guy figure something out. I am fairly new to this electronics thing so I am looking for a simple solution. What I am tring to do is build a circuit that can move a stepper motor a certain distance (1/4 rotation for example) every hour or so. If anyone knows let me know. Thanks in advance.

Motorhead

Try using small microcontrollers like 89C2051. That will do the job for you.

Kinjal

DEAR
I THINK AT89C2051 IS GOOD I USE IT IN MANY PROGECT
BUT IF YOU BIGNNER I THINK YOU CAN USE PIC16F84

YOURS

S :shock: :shock: :shock: KRAT

Nothing as such sokrat! I had started with 8051 as a beginner. I never learnt PIC assembly may be because I find it difficult to learn after remembering all the register definitions and mnemonics of 8051.

Kinjal

SAA1027

Each to their own but I would use a dedicated driver IC; the SAA1027.
This IC will directly drive a stepper motor, requires very few external components and has a dead simple interface :-
If you have a 7.5 degree per step motor then providing 1 pulse to the controller will cause 7.5 degrees of rotation, 12 pulses results in 90 degrees.
- no programming :D
- no hassle :D
All that's left is simple logic ICs to generate the pulses and do the timing.

Hi,
Agreed that you can use dedicated philips ICs like SAA1027. But I never use such ICs because of their unavaliability and very high cost. In cost of one IC i can built up a very good steepper motor controller with lot more features using dam cheap 8051 core microcontrollers.
So my suggestion to you would be use dedicated ICs only when you don't have any cheap solution using microcontrollers. Otherwise always think of using uC if cost and features are your main criteria.

:eek:
Hi friends,
I decided to design a CNC lathe and miller. First the lathe.
I need some help about electrical design. I would like my lathe
to be able to work in stand alone mode(without PC).

I would like to drive the tool on ARC, ELLIPTIC and simple LINE
Does anybody have information how can I calculate the movement
of it? I think the solution is in the analytical geometry since
every shape has equations in analytical geometry. This way I
can calculate the movement of my stepper motors.

And I would like to know how can I store my programes.
Please contact me if anybody has any information that can help me

regards
Richard

Interpolation and Extrapolation is the answer. There are many interpolation techniques to calculate the co-ordinates of points for a given shape. Some of them are Lagranges interpolation, Newtons Forward Difference Interpolation, newtons Backward Difference interpolation etc.
Use these techniques for deciding the path of your tools. You can store your programs in EPROMS/FLASH ROMS or Battery Backed Static RAMs. The lathe can be controlled using microcontroller.

Here is a good place to start in your search in the world of CNC:
http://www.seanet.com/~dmauch/

Here is another link that will enlighten your ideas of CNC and stepper motors.

**broken link removed**

It is a large and exciting world out there with CNC equipment. One reliable source for designed and tested controller boards is the first link. I am not affiliated, just know someone who has spent more than a months pay there during the past year!

Hi all,

it's my first participation in this forum,

here is the site by which the stepper motor can be controlled by using PIC16F84A

https://www.hobby-elec.org/e_step.htm

i hope it has the same idea which you are thinking to build.

ENSAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back