Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

step up Boost convertor

Status
Not open for further replies.

warden243

I Recently built a home brew pma wind gen. but with the winds in my area on a normal/average day its putting out 2.5-6 volts dc my quistion is could i build a step up boost convertor to up that voltage/amps to charge 12 volt batteries?

i have also seen the gen put out 26 volts on very windy days

Thanks any help would be appreciated>

What you need is a buck-boost converter. As it's name implies, it can both "buck" the voltage down, or "boost" a voltage up. This will allow you to handle both the low and high voltage wind conditions.

There is a TON of information all over the internet about them. Dedicated ICs, lots of schematics, etc. They are one of the most common DC-DC converters out there.

Unfortunately it looks like you have selected a winding turns to wire diameter for a low voltage/high(er) current alternator.

The wire gauge determines the maximum amperage allowed. The number of turns determine how much voltage is generated. Obviously for a given alternator physical size you can't put more turns without using smaller gauge wire.

The V-I curve for a permanent magnet alternator is a complicated relationship between rpm's/torque and electrical load. You generally would like to get a usable voltage at relatively light wind with a relatively light load. The load regulator then becomes a matter of keeping voltage up by adjusting the load on the alternator. A buck-only switcher regulator is the simplest and more efficient then a boost or buck-boost design.

2.5 v. doesn't give you much to work with.

Stating only voltages does really say too much. When you say you have seen 25 v. on a windy day, how much current was being produced at that 25 v? When you get some reasonable wind do a load current versus voltage profile. If that was open, no load voltage you have a problem.

An old telephone hand-crank ringer generator can produce 200 volts. It just doesn't do it with much output current.

Look at this site: **broken link removed**

I did 36 windings with two strands of #14
wire the blades are a bit under sized at a dia of 6 foot
I did hook a 1/2" drill to it on the ground abd got 176 volts out of it.
And I have no way to measure the current at this time I have orders an amp meter that hasn't shown up yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back