Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

step motor test

Status
Not open for further replies.

xjackal

i have a non-working floppy drive now but i guess i found the step motor.
so i need step motor and i like to test whether it is working or not.would u tell how can i do this.by the time there are 4 outputs and i dont know what are they...

So, you have a 4 lead stepping motor. This indicates there are two seperate coils inside. You can buzz out the respective wires to each coil with a multi meter.
To test your motor, short out one coil at a time, the shaft should be noticeable harder to turn then - it sort of jerks around rather than a smooth turn. Do that with each coil.
If there is no difference you probably have a different kind of motor without a magnetic rotor, if you indeed bussed out two seperate coils.

To drive a stepper motor you need a motor drive board or build one or cannibalise the one from the motor's source.
Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back