Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Steorn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hiya Guy's,
Here's a link to the otherpower forum where the Steorn story is being discussed aswell **broken link removed**

Anyway most of the posts in this alternate energy forum deals with ludricius claims of free energy maybe we should do a poll each month and vote for the best fraud or wierd claim of free energy.

Just a thought

Cheers Bryan:rolleyes:

Do your homework before shooting off your electrons! McCarthy makes it plane in his interviews that just to stymie such speculations Steorn is taking no money from anyone until the jury returns its verdict. Root around a bit more and you too will see that he is just the friendly family engineer next door - studied at DIT and his company still linked to the college - not the sort of set-up for the type of trickster you describe.

So far the company is 100,000 EURO or dollars in the red after the expensive add in the Economist and hiring of a major PR firm. Even the Pink Panther wouldn't have upped the ante that much.

Nigel Goodwin said:
We can all fix displays to show a result like that!, particularly to a newspaper reporter - it's now 2006, and so far no one has ever been able to demonstrate a practical working example of any of these imaginary devices.

As with all the others, it appears nothing more than a con trick to get money from gullible people, and so far he seems to be doing quite well at it?.

Last edited:
powerhugh said:
Do your homework before shooting off your electrons! McCarthy makes it plane in his interviews that just to stymie such speculations Steorn is taking no money from anyone until the jury returns its verdict. Root around a bit more and you too will see that he is just the friendly family engineer next door - studied at DIT and his company still linked to the college - not the sort of set-up for the type of trickster you describe.

I was under the impression, from his own website, that they had attracted substantial investment?.

In any case, this still doesn't get over the fact that he still hasn't ever produced a working machine!.

Nigel Goodwin said:
In any case, this still doesn't get over the fact that he still hasn't ever produced a working machine!.

I think that is what this thread is all about.. They have shown nothing. Like all the others. Trust me, I would love to be wrong.

And if they have not taken money.. Well, they have a major marketing thing going on.. Does that show their product or get investors?

Nigel Goodwin said:
I was under the impression, from his own website, that they had attracted substantial investment?.

I was under the impression that the investment went back into the earlier phase, when they were doing initial wok on new technology for the bank sector. They had earlier been facilitators of e-commerce for other firms, but after the dot-gone episode they took a tumble, with layoffs, and had to concentrate on what they were getting a reputation for - i.e. hardware/software solutions to security issues, where they were known for leading edge technology. The investors, on the strength of this, gave them a budget of a few million with 3 or so years to come up with improved battery efficiency for things like ATMs or the associated CCTV cameras. It was in the course of that work that they stumbled on the magnetic anomalies they claim give free energy. Thus in a sense they are out on a limb: spending that budget on a rather risky offshoot of their brief. But that's what blue-sky research is about - serendipity is welcome with venture capitalists...

As to why no machine - as McCarthy explained until he was blue in the face, they are a technology initiator firm, with no plant for product production. They intend to farm out the manufacture of ‘application devices’. Their brief is always proof of concept. Why should they go to the trouble of learning new skills and buying expensive equipment if at the end sceptics query where the hidden power lead is? That would then lead to an investigation of the same scope as the one now underway. So, clever businessmen that they are, they realised they could cut out that trouble and go straight to the investigation with what hey have now – just invest the effort in making 12 copies of the test rig for the 12 jury members.

Impeccable logic – unlike some less than Vulcan posters here!

powerhugh said:
As to why no machine - as McCarthy explained until he was blue in the face, they are a technology initiator firm, with no plant for product production. They intend to farm out the manufacture of ‘application devices’. Their brief is always proof of concept. Why should they go to the trouble of learning new skills and buying expensive equipment if at the end sceptics query where the hidden power lead is? That would then lead to an investigation of the same scope as the one now underway. So, clever businessmen that they are, they realised they could cut out that trouble and go straight to the investigation with what hey have now – just invest the effort in making 12 copies of the test rig for the 12 jury members.

Impeccable EXCUSES - "we can't demonstrate a working example, because we don't have any manufacturing capablity" - what kind of crap is that!.

They can't demonstrate it because it doesn't work - logic doesn't get any simpler and more impeccable than that!. Presumably you're the type of gullible mug they love? - who believes any kind of fairy tales they tell!.

Still, time will tell, but why do you think this is any less a scam than the thousands of similar schemes over the years?.

powerhugh said:
I was under the impression that the investment went back into the earlier phase, when they were doing initial wok on new technology for the bank sector. They had earlier been facilitators of e-commerce for other firms, but after the dot-gone episode they took a tumble, with layoffs, and had to concentrate on what they were getting a reputation for - i.e. hardware/software solutions to security issues, where they were known for leading edge technology. The investors, on the strength of this, gave them a budget of a few million with 3 or so years to come up with improved battery efficiency for things like ATMs or the associated CCTV cameras. It was in the course of that work that they stumbled on the magnetic anomalies they claim give free energy. Thus in a sense they are out on a limb: spending that budget on a rather risky offshoot of their brief. But that's what blue-sky research is about - serendipity is welcome with venture capitalists...

<cough> bllsht <cough>

<cough> bllsht <cough>
Agree 100%.

Impeccable EXCUSES - "we can't demonstrate a working example, because we don't have any manufacturing capablity" - what kind of crap is that!.

I would think a working demo would be required before someone would fund manufacturing? Wonder how many they are taken cash from.

Nigel Goodwin said:

They can't demonstrate it because it doesn't work - logic doesn't get any simpler and more impeccable than that!. Presumably you're the type of gullible mug they love? - who believes any kind of fairy tales they tell!.

Still, time will tell, but why do you think this is any less a scam than the thousands of similar schemes over the years?.

To you and all the lackeys hurling abuse in my direction (same to the latter with knobs on! Like wise I think them rubbish :D ):

They say they have demonstrated their rigs. In most of the cases, it was the universities that agreed to test on a non-disclosure contract, we admittedly only have Steorn's word for it - unless you believe one posting on the Steorn forums from someone who says he's from one of the Universities in England that looked at it -his statement that they saw an 'overunity' effect sounds plausible (he's a Steorn plant, you say - might be: but on the other hand). Only in one case - the Guardian reporter who saw the machine working, did we know the ID of a witness. In his case though, he could not do the analysis of a university department. So admittedly the case is still undecided until we have a more open demo or report from well known scientists.

Oh and I'm not a 'gullible mug', you abusive mug! I reserve final judgement until the jury is in, since this is notable precisely because it does not seem to be the usual sort of scam: no other group of this sort spent 100, 000 EUR on an Economist add & PR campaign. Also, in contrast to other players in the field, they are a bona fide company with experience in hi-tec. What gives me a good feeling about them is I know the Dublin Inst. Of Tech. (DIT) which Steorn works with (they award prizes to students and McCarthy graduated there in 1987), as I used to go there (to the same branch as McCarthy, i.e. Bolton street) as a student to access their library. Thus this is not an Australian call box.

To drive home that point, catch the latest Sky News videos of their visit to Steorn, with glimpes of the test rig nearly in action http://www.360east.com/?p=533 or http://news.sky.com/skynews/video/videoplayer/0,,31200-steorn_interview,00.html

Last edited:
at the risk of furthering an already degenerate thread... I would think a rational human would reserve judgement on a breakthrough that appears to violate the laws of physics. To defend them the way you have indicates to me a level of belief with out evidence. That should be the domain of religion, not science or engineering. Of course, this presumes that you are, indeed, an impartial observer. And even though the aussies have their share of hoaxes, they have far from an exclusive in that area.

Sure they called the Wright Brothers scam artists but history does not record the tens of thousands that actually were.

And by the way, advanced technology is nearly indistinguisable from a rigged demo.

philba said:
at the risk of furthering an already degenerate thread... I would think a rational human would reserve judgement on a breakthrough that appears to violate the laws of physics. To defend them the way you have indicates to me a level of belief with out evidence. That should be the domain of religion, not science or engineering. Of course, this presumes that you are, indeed, an impartial observer. And even though the aussies have their share of hoaxes, they have far from an exclusive in that area.

Sure they called the Wright Brothers scam artists but history does not record the tens of thousands that actually were.

And by the way, advanced technology is nearly indistinguisable from a rigged demo.
Philba, if you're talking to powerhugh, he said in his previous post,
...I reserve final judgement until the jury is in...
Did I miss something?

Maybe because he sees that others are attacking them with all the unreasonable zeal of the science fundamentalist. See that Sky News interview where McCarthy complains of what amounts to religious fanatacism of teh scientists who refused to even contemplate such heresy. I believe in open-mindedness - and I therefore deplore the modern slide into conservatism and clos-mindedness. Thus I will, like a good defense attorney, plead for my clients right to a fair trial until the jury is in. No lynching parties or witch hunts, please. If the other posters are from the US or other democratic countries then they can do no less, as their society is supposedly based on the spirit of fair play.

harumph. science is about proof and repeatability. science is about theory that is backed up by experimental result. Open mindedness to unexplainable phenomena is not a trait of a scientist. NB: A scientist is skeptical of experimental results that appear to violate accepted laws of science. A scientist sees an effect and attempts to explain that effect. He or she performs experiments that attempt to isolate and reproduce that effect. With out the experimental corroboration, it's just hot air. Remember cold fusion?

IMHO Philba is right though. Like the Steven Mark coils.

They all say I have done it, here is the video (website, etc.). I can not show it because of patents, funds, etc. (think it was Nigel's point too; they want funds).

And it's not like we haven't seen a lot of them over the years and have we seen one unit/product from any of them? One that was close almost what they claimed?

No unit, no product, no proof, nothing.

But again, let's wait and see. And hope we are wrong.. And keep an open mind. I would not bank on this one.

Really? its going ahead?

I mean, sure if it does produces more power than they *know* they put in, then yeah....but I've yet to read a decent explaination. Or about the amount of energy used to make the magnets (do we get this back?). Also, I read somewhere (vague, I know, but so is my memory) that even credible scientists use the term 'over unity'....but its not a closed system, nothing is.

Anyway, it seems they're getting funding, maybe they could use that to come up with a more credible theory as to its operation.

Blueteeth

The Mad Professor said:
Nothing like a bit of good old fashioned scientific heresy to stir things up.

Students of the strange may well recall this article about Troy Hurtubise,
and like Steorn , lots of heresay, talk of money invested and the proof is still woefully absent.
https://www.baytoday.ca/content/news/details.asp?c=6657
I have been a fan of Troy Hurtubise from his Project Grizzly days. Man that's a great flick. He later went on to build another "Ursus" bear suit, this one being sleek black and closer to one of those deep sea pressure suits.

Then he pitched the new project as the "G-Man Genesis", a fireproof Nomex supersuit with shock absorbers that would let firemen jump from several stories up and a parachute for jumping from higher. I'm not really sure why jumping from great heights was really the biggest advantage for the job.

I saw that "Angel Light" thing years ago. I've never seen any supporting info other than that article. It's hilarious that he presents such an huge list of fantastic features, then just keeps going on, but then ends it with him saying he dismantled it because he was afraid of it and that's why no one gets to see it.

That's kind of a new one for the quack field. Usually they say none of the high falutin scientists will come to their demo, or they have but won't admit it, or most often that "it's a secret" so they won't do an actual demonstration.

It really is a shame that he's gone from being an oddball engineer to a fraud.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back