Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

STB shutting off after a split second

Status
Not open for further replies.

starLED

I have a Set Top Box for TV (STB) that worked about two years fine, but now when I plug in adapter cable then power green light comes on for a split second then it shuts off, and no green on and red off light and LCD display is on.

I checked voltages randomly on board and there are 12 V, and adapter cable also measures 12 V.
STB model is NewGlee GL-c850AQ

What can be a problem?
IMG_20220430_153640.jpg
IMG_20220430_153651.jpg
IMG_20220430_153746.jpg
IMG_20220430_153731.jpg

STB box adapter is 12V 1A.
I tried two different adapters:
1) 12V 1.5A - same issue, green light power off after a split second
2) 12 0.85A - green light doesn't turn off, it flickers.

Last edited:
I was checking caps for short and I was wondering if this is normal.
Two caps near the main chip (CPU ?) have 072 ohms, and I was wondering can that be shorted to ground?
Other caps that I have tested are all higher then 500 ohms.
caps.jpg

I noticed there is a black discoloration on the bottom side of the PCB under the CPU (in red circle), it can't be seen good on the image.
Can that be the sign of a damaged CPU that overheated?
Also, caps in the circle also measure 072 ohms.
cpu.jpg

It's unlikely you can test the capacitors in-circuit, it's most probably reading through other parts of the circuit.

You could always remove one that you suspect?, and check it out of circuit - and also check across the PCB where it was.

Generally on STB's, it's either the power supply electrolytics, or it's scrap - there's generally no schematic, and no spares available. And quite often, if PSU electrolytics have failed, then the HT rail increases and causes further irreparable damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back