Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Starting up with PICs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,

So today I decided I wanted to start using PICs.

I went over to SparkFun electronics and saw the Bit Whacker, which is going to be a definite future purpose due to the USB.

But, right now I don't have the money for it, but I did see they have this 14 Pin PIC Development Board.

However, I'm not sure how I go about connecting these. I've only ever dealt with PICs virtually on simulators and have had 0 experience with them physically?

Anyone care to explain how?

If you buy the 28 pin development board you can add a USB connector and turn it into a USB bitwhacker.

You need a programmer. Most people are using pickit2's or pickit3's which you buy from microChipDirect or Major suppliers like DigiKey or Mouser.

If you buy the 28 pin development board you can add a USB connector and turn it into a USB bitwhacker.

You need a programmer. Most people are using pickit2's or pickit3's which you buy from microChipDirect or Major suppliers like DigiKey or Mouser.

Yeah, I saw the PICkits but then I read that PICs can have different programmer connections so I wasn't sure which one to get. Like the ICE and ICD ones.

But I suppose, if I'm paying £20+ for a programmer but the bitwhacker is £15ish, then I'll just wait.

Cheer 3v0. :)

The PICKit 2 is the way to go IMHO. You can make a simple cable with a 5 pin header on one end and flying single pins on the other end to connect to PICs on a breadboard. You just have to look in the datasheet to see which pins you have to connect the free flying pins to for each signal.

Basically on a PIC you have 5 connections for programming -

Vpp (Programming voltage...goes to the master clear pin)
Vdd (+5V)
Vss (GND)
PGD (Data)
PGC (Clock)

Then when you design PCBs for your PICs, you design in a 5 pin header on the board with the pins on the header running to the correct pins on the PIC, then you can just plug your PICKit 2 into that header on the board to program it.

The PICKit 2 is the way to go IMHO. You can make a simple cable with a 5 pin header on one end and flying single pins on the other end to connect to PICs on a breadboard. You just have to look in the datasheet to see which pins you have to connect the free flying pins to for each signal.

Basically on a PIC you have 5 connections for programming -

Vpp (Programming voltage...goes to the master clear pin)
Vdd (+5V)
Vss (GND)
PGD (Data)
PGC (Clock)

Then when you design PCBs for your PICs, you design in a 5 pin header on the board with the pins on the header running to the correct pins on the PIC, then you can just plug your PICKit 2 into that header on the board to program it.

Ahh, I see. Hmm, I just thought, with the bitwhacker I wont be able to make a project that isn't connected to the computer because it get's power from the USB.

Decisions, decisions. May just end up building my own PIC development board.

ICE and ICD ones.

You can make then too there RJ11
**broken link removed**
and double row 5 pin IDC
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Decisions, decisions. May just end up building my own PIC development board.

Hi,

That little Olimex board is cheap enough and will give you a working platform to start with, but it also has plenty of room for you to expand it.

Once you understand things better then sure start building your own dev board, its not difficult and you get exactly what you want.

Do not rely 100% on the PCs USB supply, generally its fine but just sometimes strange things can happen to your program/chip that never do with when its on a standard psu.

Although not something you want to do the a new Pickit2 under guarantee, is disconnect output pin6 from the circuit and connect it to the USB +5v Input so you can give your circuit board a direct USB +5v feed without using a second USB cable; you could do a similar thing by breaking into a usb cable or connector.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back