Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Starting off a network project

Status
Not open for further replies.

electroRF

Hi, I need to build up the following project, and I'd appreciate your advices.

Purpose of project: being able to press on a button by an IP command from remote.

meaning, I'll need:
1. Micro-processor that connects to the Internet via Ethernet Cable (Not WIFI)

2. Servo motor?

3. small "Arm" that will push the button when necessary.

*The button is like an elevator's button.

What would networking microprocessor would you recommend for this project?

How would it be smart to have the arm moving?

Should I use a servo motor?

Thank you very much.

can i ask a question, is a project about getting a machine/arm to press something over the net or is it more about switching something on or off over the net?the two are very different for a start if you simply want control of something over the net then the options are many but if its about making a finger controlled over the net thats different if you see what i mean??
i vote olimax maxi or min web BTW

eRF, why a need to actually "press" a button, rather than simply "be" a button (a solid state switch)?

Just curious...

i guess one of two things, ! he isnt aware that a physical button can be switched over the net by simple rewire of said switch or 2 the project is actually about a mechanically controlled arm that is controlled over the net

Hi guys,
Thanks a lot for your great comments! :)

I'll look into the Arduino and Beaglebone board.

Ghost, as you said the project purpose is a mechanically controlled arm that is controlled over the net.

I do not want to mess with the wire's devices, and actually i can't, its company device and I'd need to press its button from remote by IP command.

How about the Arm?

What arm should i use? (for a button the size of elevator / printer)

and how will I have it moving? by servo motor?

if its a simple push button like a press and let go then a simple solenoid probably best way and very simple. if you need the actuator out the way once pressed then servo motors like hobby ones, but i would still do the actual press with a solenoid,

take a look at the olimax maxiweb it would probably be able to do it pretty much out of the box! or vary cheap way is old pc and simple free program like serial port control (or something like that its called) then all you got to do is ip the pc then tell the serial port to send a command to any micro with uart port to simply energize a relay attached to a solenoid, what kind of budget you have?

I am using this: **broken link removed**
Because the little board is a little hard to use I got the SPK-1. You can talk to it via RS232 or 10base-T.
I made a very simple web page with buttons and LEDs on it. If you click on a web button one of the outputs goes high/low.
Any computer (and smart phone) with a browser can see the web page.
Right out of the box it comes with a web page for two switches. I think you can make it work with out writing any code.
It is some what old school.

Hi Ghost and Ron!
Thank you.

I was thinking of an arm that goes in just two directions
Output HIGH -> arm goes 3 cm forward from start position (so that it presses the button)
Output LOW -> arm goes 3 cm backward to start position (so that it releases the button)

I was thinking to connect an arm circuit to a relay, so when the relay delivers power, the arm goes forward, and when not, the arms goes back to start position.

How could one make such arm circuit?

so the button is mounted horizontal then?
i am not sure what questions we should be asking here but i get the feeling vital info is missing!
so from the start would you mind explaining why this needs to be done and what said button does. part of me thinks you know about circuits and part of me thinks you dont, so i am a bit confused regarding thye motivation for the project, sometimes it helps if we know why, if the button is critical then its down another path

How could one make such arm circuit?

There are so many ways to do that. What is the simplest (best) solution for you is impossible to say without knowing more details. What kind of mounting options you have? How much force is required? How long the button needs to be held down? Is the button also used manually by others? etc. etc.

A simple solenoid could work if you can mount it properly and if the force and stroke length is within reasonable limits for solenoids.
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10391

There are so many ways to do that. What is the simplest (best) solution for you is impossible to say without knowing more details. What kind of mounting options you have? How much force is required? How long the button needs to be held down? Is the button also used manually by others? etc. etc.

A simple solenoid could work if you can mount it properly and if the force and stroke length is within reasonable limits for solenoids.
come on Mr T your really smart man you dont have to steal a kids idea!!:p i was expecting original idea's from you :cool::hilarious: and you didnt even credit me!!!:troll:

come on Mr T your really smart man you dont have to steal a kids idea!!:p i was expecting original idea's from you :cool::hilarious: and you didnt even credit me!!!:troll:

Sorry, I didn't read your post properly :)
A Photo of the button would be nice.

Sorry, I didn't read your post properly :)
A Photo of the button would be nice.
whats the betting it turns out to be a pic of Obama's end the world button :D i think because of all the cutbacks over there with NASA they are looking at a cheaper way to press it from a bunker :nailbiting::rolleyes::hilarious:

Hi Guys,
Thanks a lot.

- The device's button is just like the button of the attached PC - in every aspect - i.e. size, required strentch, alignment (i.e. vertical to ground), the plane where the button lays on

- It needs to be pushed for ~6 seconds, and then released

misterT said:

--EDIT--
That is actually great!
It seems that you can just place this "machine" in front of the PC, and it'd push the button, doesn't it?

Little Ghostman said:
whats the betting it turns out to be a pic of Obama's end the world button
hahaha :)

Attachments

• pc.png
    pc.png
    72.3 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
go solenoid i will try and do a pic of a mounting bracket later for you, or to be clever go servo route same kind of bracket

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back