Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Start of a useless box

Status
Not open for further replies.

be80be

The start of a useless box figure I'd post how to make one take a day or two to get it all posted.

It really not that easy to find a toggle switch that you can bump like that I had to make that one all I ive found have had a spring and it takes way more then the servo can push.

It really not that easy to find a toggle switch that you can bump like that I had to make that one all I ive found have had a spring and it takes way more then the servo can push.
From the video, that switch looks hella loose. I think he opened it up and messed with it.

From the video, that switch looks hella loose. I think he opened it up and messed with it.
What did I say LOL I got like 10 and there hard to trip even if your doing the toggling I took one apart and made one.

I think I said that 2 times now.

I changed the spring and made a new contact.

I ordered 10 kinds from taydaelectronics and even got some from home depot none the servo could trip none. Most you can't trip if there not mounted even if your trying to trip one.
The springs are to strong

Last edited:
longer lever Got fit in box . The box had a magnet so the switch couldn't go where I wanted it.
I needed to have it higher But this just to mess with code the lever is as big as will fit the box the switch works ok tho but your right its a little loose.

I need to find a lighter spring or easy to toggle switches.

Hi Burt,
I too made one of these boxes a number of years ago, thought I posted on here but can't seem to find it now if I did post it.
Anyway, there was absolutely no problem tripping the switch. I gutted the PCB/pot from a servo, removed the end-stops and soldered wires directly to the motor.
Instead of connecting the cam mechanism which opens the lid/turns off the switch, directly to the servo horn at it's pivot point, I used 2 arms in a parallelogram configuration and attached the servo horn to one of the arms via a rod, probably about half-way up.
The wiring and component usage was dead simple - modified servo, 4 x AA battery holder, DPST switch, any old micro-switch and a few pieces of wire.
This is the complete schematic in PaintCADTM
Useless.png

The arm, which opens the lid and flips the DPST switch to turn itself off, rests against the micro-switch and opens the NC contact.
No complete circuit, no drain on the batteries.
Flip the DPST switch on, motor moves the arm in one direction, opening the lid and flipping the DPST switch off, reversing the polarity.
Motor moves the arm in reverse and continues until it triggers the micro-switch, opening the circuit.

Easy-peasy and no uC's or 555's harmed in the process.
A couple of techs tried to 'beat' it by holding the switch as the machine tried to turn it back off.
The best they got was a stale-mate, as it would oscillate until the DPST switch was in a neither-on-or-off dead position.
A poorer quality switch could likely have entertained them all day....

Regards.

Ha, that's cool.
I like the pause at 0:33...... "You got anything else to say? Thought not."

That moves the hammer up out of the box I thought about a 4 switch I found the box I have it's for file cards not made right.

But it's fun watching it switch one switch. Got find better switches

Cats are cool and can teach us a lot.
For instance, the Flat-Earthers should recognize that if the earth were indeed flat, cats would have pushed everything off.

Cats are cool and can teach us a lot.
For instance, the Flat-Earthers should recognize that if the earth were indeed flat, cats would have pushed everything off.
Not if one theory that there is a giant ice wall around the edges that stops the ocean from falling off is true. Said theory also holds that all the navies of all the world's countries conspire with each other to stop anybody from getting far enough to see the ice wall.

Also, cats don't like water so they would never be able to get to the edge to push anything off. Checkmate, you spherist.

Yes it worked. Out kind of good I'm going to make a new box with a better lid there fun to play with. Been wring up a bunch of car washes not had much time lately time I get off. From work I'm killed out lots of wiring in them tcs it's all computer controlled tcs is really a PLC I'm getting old lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back