Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stamp/ PIC questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cubdh23

Hi i was also wondering about the stamp or Pic or whatever its called. I know that it is very cheap and basic. I am familiar with the 6812 which is a 112 pin chip with 4 KB on chip eeprom and many features. I was wondering maybe i should use 2 or 3 stamps in my project instead of One 6812. 6812 is overkill but im familiar with it . It would improve the performance of my project considering with multiple controllers i could have a user interface in multiple locations and my main controller, instead of everything in one controller. The problem is i really dont know much about stamps and how much programming space i will need. What is the standard programming space on these things on chip? also since the stamp has less pins it would be easier to put on PCB. I was wondering how much programming space would i need using the stamp programming for keypad scanning software and LCD hookup and possible remote control i would need input capture for that also i would need to use seriial Port and the code for temperature sensor. Aprox how much programming code is that in stamp language? also i would need to communicate with the main controller. Probably another stamp. Is it possible to do all that with a stamp?
I heard they are only 128 KB of program space.

sorry for the long question. and the many questions im asking but iv never done a project before. except for labs.

cubdh23 said:
Hi i was also wondering about the stamp or Pic or whatever its called. I know that it is very cheap and basic. I am familiar with the 6812 which is a 112 pin chip with 4 KB on chip eeprom and many features. I was wondering maybe i should use 2 or 3 stamps in my project instead of One 6812. 6812 is overkill but im familiar with it . It would improve the performance of my project considering with multiple controllers i could have a user interface in multiple locations and my main controller, instead of everything in one controller. The problem is i really dont know much about stamps and how much programming space i will need. What is the standard programming space on these things on chip? also since the stamp has less pins it would be easier to put on PCB. I was wondering how much programming space would i need using the stamp programming for keypad scanning software and LCD hookup and possible remote control i would need input capture for that also i would need to use seriial Port and the code for temperature sensor. Aprox how much programming code is that in stamp language? also i would need to communicate with the main controller. Probably another stamp. Is it possible to do all that with a stamp?
I heard they are only 128 KB of program space.

Take a look at their website at which allows you to download datasheets etc.

They certainly are not anywhere near 128KB - the original STAMP only has 512 BYTES.

STAMP's are fairly expensive, so if you are talking multiple ones you may as well use the money to buy a BASIC compiler, then you can produce as many chips as you need at very little cost - plus they run a great deal faster.

Writing in assembler you could probably fit everything in fairly easily in 2K of memory (as in a 16F628), however, a 16F876 would give you more memory and more I/O pins. If you want to look into assembler programming, my tutorials at http://www.winpicprog.co.uk include hex keypads, LCD's and serial port.

Assembler is fairly easy, as it's a RISC processor with only 35 instructions, a lot less to learn than your 6812 :lol:

Hmmm what is a stamp compiler? It seems a stamp chip is about 40-60 dollars. I thought they were in the 2-5 dollars range. The 6812 is 20 dollars. I like the stamp for its simplicity though. What other benefits do you think the stamp has? For what types of applications would u use the stamp and for what would u not use it?

cubdh23 said:
Hmmm what is a stamp compiler? It seems a stamp chip is about 40-60 dollars. I thought they were in the 2-5 dollars range. The 6812 is 20 dollars. I like the stamp for its simplicity though. What other benefits do you think the stamp has? For what types of applications would u use the stamp and for what would u not use it?

Well a STAMP isn't a chip, it's a complete unit - built on a very small footprint, so they are rather expensive. There are various PIC BASIC compilers available (do a google search), one of the earliest can be found here https://www.melabs.com/. For $99 it claims to be STAMP compatible.

The advantages of a STAMP are basically it's ease of use, and the amount of example code that exists. If you are wanting more than one, as I mentioned previously, you may as well buy a compiler and program normal PIC's.

If you can write assembler, or don't mind learning (there's only 35 commands), you may as well use assembler - or any other language, but assembler is free - and you can access all facilities of the chip, as you are using it's native language.

Micros

Having owned just about ever Stamp-class processor out there I would recommend Microchips line of PICs. They are extremely quick compared to the stamp-class micros and come with a lot of hardware options. They are not as user friendly as the stamp-class systems but I have found that 90% of programming is exactly the same when using variations of basic so you can read a stamp book and still apply it to PIC's etc. Stamps are one of the slower micro's out there as they use an on-chip interpreter not a compliler but their support system, user base and documentation is second to none.

Resc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back